ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   International Assistance (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Payment for ADR overseas (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13739)

Backify_me 06-05-2017 01:05 AM

Payment for ADR overseas

The few doctor's I've talked to overseas all expect a deposit to hold a surgery date (which is fine), but then they expect the balance due before you arrive for the surgery. This is a scary proposition for me when we're talking about $40k+ in surgery fees. Is there a way around this, maybe an escrow account, so I can meet the doctor in person before I'm relieved of such a large sum?

What happens if the surgery changes after some tests are run? If the surgery costs increase can I opt out and get my money back? If after testing I'm not a good ADR candidate (for some reason) and they recommend a straight fusion can I refuse and get that done back in the States under insurance, while still getting a refund from the overseas docs? The prospect of losing such a large amount of money worries me more than the actual surgery does. Has anyone had issues with any of this?

Nestletea 06-28-2017 08:04 PM

ADR Payment

I was scared to death to complete the wire transfer to Dr. Clavel. However, several members eased my fear. It all worked out fine and I found out when I got there, that if I became ill prior to surgery or something changed, I would be refunded whatever testing/procedures had not been performed. One thing that also helped ease me was having all of my pre-op completed in the states. I was able to send all the results to Dr. Clavel's office. This will also give you a discount, as insurance covers pre-op in the states and then it is not on your bill. I was able to have my EKG, DEXA, CT, X-Rays and all blood tests completed prior to leaving. I also brought all of my previous anesthesia records - this was extremely helpful for their anesthesiologists, especially since I have several medication allergies.

Backify_me 06-29-2017 11:30 PM

Thank you for the info.

GKTM300 08-16-2017 10:52 AM

That's how it works I would expect some people to complain if they got ripped off n I haven't seen any.

Johntpr 08-16-2017 03:39 PM

No worries with Dr. Clavel

Blizzaga 08-17-2017 10:31 AM

I also found this part a bit intimidating. However, after cross-checking phone numbers, e-mails and websites, I was confident that the bank account that I am transferring to is correct and belongs to a well-established and trustworthy company. I also made sure that the sum is correct and would not be subject to change.

I wish there was a more official system with invoicing and such. However, it appears that the international surgery business is a bit in the grey zone, so one just has to trust that all goes well...

Cheryl0331 04-04-2019 09:54 PM

Third party verify

I verified Dr. Clavel with a third party before my transfer. It was the scariest thing not to know.
They were ISO 9001 compliant. I also checked with Blue Cross Blue Shield Worldwide, find a doctor. Dr. Clavel was listed as an approved surgeon.