ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   New Member: Seeking Advice about ADR/Fusion with Negative Discogram (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10478)

orinstarn 02-22-2010 11:14 PM

New Member: Seeking Advice about ADR/Fusion with Negative Discogram

Hi, Everybody:

Help, I need your advice!

I have had five surgeries in the last few years: microdiscectomy at L5-S1 that had to be done again after reherniation; the same, more recently, at L4-L5 plus another operation to repair a spinal fluid leak.

These operations have relieved most of my leg pain. But I have had chronic lower back pain for a year and a half now. My discogram came up negative, but I'm speaking to several surgeons here in the area where I live (two at Duke Medical Center, one at Triangle Orthopaedics), and they are nonetheless proposing a double-level fusion at 4-5 and 5-1 or else a hybrid surgery with ADR at 4-5 and fusion at 5-1. The one (Michael Musante at Triangle Orthopedics) I saw today said there was a fifty percent chance -- and from what magic hat do these surgeons draw their numbers -- that this would resolve my pain even with the negative discogram. Another, Chris Brown at Duke, said he saw only a ten percent chance of me improving through the fusions or ADR and thought it was a bad idea to do either.

I am quite disabled now, subsisting on massive Iburoprofen plus lidocaine patches, lyrica, and Vicodin and oxycodone now and then. I can only walk a few blocks without pain and tire easily. No golf or any of the things I used to enjoy. But, to the positive, I'm able to continue with my job (thanks to it being,as a professor, not a real job involving manual labor), take care of my kids, and have a romantic life. I'm worried, as lousy as things are now, about the risks of getting worse with the fusion/ADR. When I read about the sufferings of some of you on the ADR list, I realize that, as much of a nightmare as I have lived with my back, there are even worse ones.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts. Should I go ahead and consider the double fusion or hybrid? Even with the negative discogram? I will also be going to Sweden next week and get an opinion there as I am supposed to give a lecture in Stockholm related to my own work.

Thanks SO much for any thoughts! Orin

49 years old
Two microdiscectomies at 5-1(Dr. Michael Haglund at Duke Med Center)
Two microdiscectomies at 4-5(Dr. Allan Friedman at Duke Med Center)
Ambulanced to emergency room at 3 am for the herniations at 4-5, unbelievable left leg pain
One repair of spinal fluid leak at 4-5(Dr. Allan Friedman)
Serious chronic lower left back pain

2 Young 2 Hurt Like This 02-22-2010 11:38 PM

Hey,

Sounds like you have been through a lot over the past few years!

I can sort of relate. I am facing a possible 2 level ADR L3-4 and L4-5. That is what my 1st surgeon suggested. I got a second opinion and was told to try the Microdiscectomy. I have no idea on what I should do. Everything I've read about the MicroD mentions relief of leg pain and not back. My problem Is I have both leg pain/numbness and back pain. I'm now getting a 3rd opinion. How did the MicroD help you and was it only for your leg pain or aimed for both leg and back?

As I was going my research I came across Disc Decompression. I will be asking my 3rd doc what he thinks about it when I see him on March 8th. Here is a link that has some info about it

http://www.americanspinal.com/

To me it almost seems to good to be true considering all that I've been through.

Anyways, I hope you find some answers.

~Liz

Harrison 02-23-2010 11:48 AM

Hey Orin, thanks for posting. We can catch up soon by phone. I recall our first chat some time ago; but pls send me your phone # and best time to call you.