ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Big File (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Bed Mattress: Tempur-Pedic vs Sealy True-Form vs Sealy Posturpedic Plush, etc. (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9038)

ZorroSF 04-04-2008 11:16 AM

I use simmons beautyrest worldclass. (firm or extra firm). it absorbs a lot of shock and doesn't shake around causing you to wake up.

look on craigslist for a used one in good/excellent condition and save yourself a thousand dollars.

I hate tempurpedic cause it's pure foam. Like sleeping on vinyl and gets you all sweaty.

Cirobi 04-04-2008 11:42 AM

ooo, thank you for the suggestions chuck and ZorroSF. I think I may invest in that matress pad before I go in for my surgery. I'm not sure how I feel about getting a used bed from someone though, but it's surely something I may consider if I get desperate for an upgrade. http://adrsupport.org/groupee_common...icon_smile.gif Many thanks!

Terry 04-04-2008 05:54 PM

I still love my Sleep Number bed. It allows you to set your comfort level with air pressure. It also has a pillow top for the mattress which makes it 11" thick. We also use a temperature balancing mattress pad which keeps one person cool if they are normally hot and the other person warm if they are typically cold.

I melt in to the bed at night and wake up feeling well rested.

Terry Newton

ZorroSF 04-05-2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cirobi:
ooo, thank you for the suggestions chuck and ZorroSF. I think I may invest in that matress pad before I go in for my surgery. I'm not sure how I feel about getting a used bed from someone though, but it's surely something I may consider if I get desperate for an upgrade. http://adrsupport.org/groupee_common...icon_smile.gif Many thanks!

I know exactly what you mean about used beds, an dI am in the same opinion. However when I moved to LA last year there was one that was hardly used at all cause it was in the guest bedroom. I spent $400 and got a $1800 bed in prinstine condition.

that's what a I meant to say.

Davo 03-09-2011 05:41 PM

Tempur-Pedic alternative

If anyone is considering a memory foam, Tempur-Pedic type of bed, I highly recommend purchasing one from:

Florida Foam and Upolstery Supplies Foam Products

It's made from the same materials as the expensive beds, but you'll save a ton of money because you aren't paying for the brand name. Plus they offer free shipping. Mine arrived from FedEx shrink wrapped about the size of a suitcase. Once I cut off the plastic wrap it grew to a queen size mattress in about 5 minutes. It was fun to watch!

I've had mine for the past 4 years and love it. The only down side is that you won't want to get out of it in the morning.

Jstuckey 03-10-2011 10:26 AM

I have an easy, inexpensive solution for anyone experiencing the excrutiating night time pain that I used to have.... We looked into all different types of beds and got tested on a Sleep Number. We ended up replacing our mattress and box springs with a traditional name brand. No relief. We then replaced our metal bed frame. No relief. Out of frustration (and after passing out from pain one night while going down the stairs for pain killers), we put our mattress and box springs on the floor - no metal bed frame. That did it for me immediately. 6 months later, we've now purchased a platform bed frame, and ditched the box springs - putting the mattress right on the numberous wood support slats. You might want to try that simple solution (put your mattress/box springs on the floor) before you spend any money, expecially if you don't have the cash sitting around for a new bed. My suggestion for the day!

Abbe 03-12-2011 03:01 PM

Bed choices and cheap solution

Everyone has different choices as to what is a comfortable sleep situation. Years ago I purchased an 8" thick piece of foam (Before tempurpedics came out) It was pretty comfortable. I liked it but hubby was not thrilled. We had it in a Water bed frame. Then we got a conventional mattress and it was fairly firm. He liked it but I did not... The foam mattress became our guest room mattress and was put on a regular box spring with a piece of plywood under it. My mother said it was the most comfortable mattress she had ever slept on. The foam does break down after a while so it is gone now.

We have since gotten an pillow top mattress it is about 5 yrs. old and too firm for my taste so what I had done before surgery about 2 yrs. ago was to get a memory foam topper (at Costco) That works great for me and I have tried taking it off and have now put it back on the mattress. The problem is my husband did not like it on his side. So, solution was I cut the thing in half and only have the memory foam on my side of the bed. We do need a new mattress but for now this is a good less expensive solution.

evolutionrules 05-20-2011 02:03 PM

we have a cal king tempur-pedic. took some getting used to but we love it now. my wife can NOT sleep without her tempur-pedic pillow either. i use a pillow that i describe as a waterbed pillow. has a bladder in the middle that you fill up with water and it supports your neck. i can't go without it. before we spent the money on the mattress i found a hotel that uses them and stayed 2 nights. fell asleep first night and didn't wake up for 14 hours. dead to the world. the second night was just as good. just my 2 cents.

mcjagger 07-06-2011 09:43 AM

Tempur-Pedic

We bought a king sized Tempur-Pedic about 2 months ago...very pricey but we love it...I'm a side sleeper and can finally get a good 6-7 hrs sleep....worth every penny!!!

Harrison 07-06-2011 10:43 AM

I hope it's OK to ask, but some folks may want to know what these mattresses cost?