View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 01:46 PM

Default Quitting smoking-Good! Weight gain-Bad!

I saw this thread on quitting smoking, and if you'll permit me, I need to at least share my experience.

I finally quit smoking on January 13, 2012. After being a smoker for well over 25 years, this was not easy by any means. My driving force was that I wanted to have ALL surgical options available to me for my back. Every surgeon I'd met with wouldn't discuss anything fusion-related unless I was nicotene-free for at least 3 months or more.

I am very proud to say that to date I have remained a non-smoker. In October of 2013 I finally went to see another surgeon - who I have yet to even meet, although he came with several positive referrals.

The reason I never met this surgeon in person, is that I never made it past his P.A. who decided that although I was a non-smoker, I was far too overweight to even be considered for a surgery! He was very polite, and had many suggestions for me to try and lose the 30 - 40 lbs by another appointment in 6 months. I tried all the recomendations diligently for weeks - basically staying under 1200 calories per day. I can barely get through a typical day driving and working a desk job, so any real exercise program was a ridiculous consideration! I lost nothing!

So I successfully quit smoking, and although the weight gain did not occur unnoticed, I thought I should fight one battle at a time. It appears I was wrong. I should have been trying to fight the weight gain battle at the same time as the cigarettes! Just a thought others may benefit from while trying to quit smoking ...

Closing note: I never did go back to see that surgeon. I've since discovered that the company which I've worked for was sold, and I've been working as part of a transitional team with a finite severance date! Looks like my 2014 New Year's resolution will be to find ANY surgeon to perform ANY surgery on me before my employment & medical insurance runs out! The sand is pouring through the hourglass now!

Jeff
2008-Positive Disco (L4/L5&L5/S1 annular tears)
Herniated discs at L4/L5/S1, bulging T12
Began constant/severe neck & upper back pain 11/09
Jan 10-Cervical/Thoracic MRI:bone spurs+new disc probs
Cervical Spine issues causing terrible pain beginning in July 2021 - scheduled for 2 level C-Spine ADR on Oct 19th 2021 now!! Part of Clinical Trial so unsure if Mobi-C or Baguera C will be implanted ....