View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 05:38 PM

Default Surgery scheduled Jan 21!

Hi All-
I am going for a C 5/6 and C 6/7 ADR with Dr Bierstedt on Jan 21st. It took a lot of organization and the help of my primary care doc to get everything together in a week but we got it done. Right now my radiculopathy and neck pain are chronic, about a 3-6, depending on my activity level. Not wanting to suffer through another acute bout (I have had 2 acute rads in the past year with pain in the 7-9 range lasting at least 6 weeks), I decided to take the plunge. Probably the hardest year and decision of my life (cancelled fusion surgery twice).
I was surprised by primary care doc's support and also by US neurosurgeon's refusal to follow up with me after I do the ADR. One flippant neuro asst told me she doubted I would get any neurosurgeon to look at my films afterwards! I see this as good to know since I almost had surgery with this dude!
A lot of angels from this site have inspired me with their stories and I am so grateful for this forum. Some of you have been incredibly generous with your PM responses and I got a phone call from a member here that saved my *** when I was capitulating to a partial solution that I dreaded going into (single level fusion for a suspected 2 level problem).
Thank you all!
PS If you are ready and have your ducks lined up, the ONZ team is really responsive.
PSS 2 level cervical will cost me about 45K for 1 week inpatient and 1 week pt, excluding travel costs.
Jan 21 M6 ADR C 5/6, 6/7 Dr Bierstedt