View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 01:15 PM

One thing with the Activ L implant is the ability to place it on an angular approach. I'm assuming implantation of the disc this way can prevent the vein from scarring/adhering from the direct frontal approach?
I've been researching all discs and surgeons.
Clavel has mentioned the ALIF L5-S1 fusion for the steep sacral slope to me personally.
I mentioned this to Dr. Zeegers as well and said it is something to definitely be concerned about. I also asked about his preference of discs and he told me he does use both the Activ L and the M6 but it depends on the person and his personal diagnosis. He did say that the M6 has many moving parts and he has NO financial interest in any ADR's.
Now this is just my opinion, but wouldn't any person with DDD(like myself), benefit more from having a fusion at L4-L5 and and L5-S1 and ADR at L3-L4?
Motion is preserved at the higher level, no segmental disease from fusion areas, no chance of increasing facet joint hypertrophy at the lowest level and no chance of revision surgery for ADR failure/wear at the greatest weight bearing levels.
I'd like your opinions.
Born 1970/1995-Hurt at work/1996-Right disc fragment L4-L5 discectomy-On/off back pain,no serious leg pain until/2007-Right herniation L5-S1,recurrent small herniation at L4-L5 with unbearable leg pain/6/08 discectomy L5-S1/leg pain relieved/occaisional mechanical pain/2012-Cymblata 60 mg,occasional aleve/2014-LB pain not debilitating but chronic,Rhizotomy relieves facet pain on right side/2015-L4-S1 facets shot/4/15 PLIF L4-S1 with facectomy