View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 12:22 PM

Default So much confusion & pain ...

Since visiting with Dr. Yue last February 20, 2014 I was required by my medical insurance provider to once more go for several weeks of Physical Therapy before a new MRI would be allowed. Although I didn't honestly expect yet another round of PT at a different facility to "cure" my problems, I sure did my best once more - trying to do all of the stretches and excersises provided at home between appointments. No surprises - this didn't relieve any pain, and actually may have been detrimental in that now being 3 weeks removed from my last appointment I can barely exist without greatly increased pain in my lower-right back, right hip, and right leg.

My additional concern is my new MRI, which I was at least able to finally get done on March 20th. I must wait to go over these results with Dr. Yue, but in reviewing the imaging and the printed report, even after all these years nothing looks or sounds like I should be living in so much pain! This has always bothered me. I have no medical background, and feel that I am more ignorant than most on these boards and in the general public.

Has anyone else with LBP bad enough to go through surgery had an MRI report which "seems" (to me) to state that nothing too serious is wrong?

MRI LUMBAR SPINE WITH AND WITHOUT CONTRAST
Comparisons: MRI lumbar spine 12/28/06
Findings:
There is no MRI evidence for vertebral body fracture. There is no subluxation.
L1-L2: There is no significant neural foraminal or canal compromise.
L2-L3: There is no significant neural foraminal or canal compromise.
L3-L4: There is a mild disc bulge and facet arthropathy with mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing, greater on the left.
L4-L5: There is a left laminectomy. There is minimal enhancement within the postoperative bed, compatible with mild granulation tissue. There is facet arthropathy and mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing. There is no evidence for recurrent disc.
L5-S1: There is mild disc bulge but without significant neural foraminal or canal compromise.
There is no MRI evidence for spinal canal stenosis. The conus is at L1 and appears within normal limits.
Impression:
Postoperative changes L4-5, without evidence for disc recurrence
Mild discogenic degenerative change at L3-4 and L4-5

In reading the word "mild" everywhere, I can't help but wonder if I should really be considering such an invasive surgical option for this pain! I'm not truly asking for medical opinions here - I understand that I will need to discuss this with Dr. Yue - but does any of this mean anything to anyone?

Ugh!
2008-Positive Disco (L4/L5&L5/S1 annular tears)
Herniated discs at L4/L5/S1, bulging T12
Began constant/severe neck & upper back pain 11/09
Jan 10-Cervical/Thoracic MRI:bone spurs+new disc probs
Cervical Spine issues causing terrible pain beginning in July 2021 - scheduled for 2 level C-Spine ADR on Oct 19th 2021 now!! Part of Clinical Trial so unsure if Mobi-C or Baguera C will be implanted ....