View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 06:46 PM

I just had a discussion with the Lab Director of Orthopedic Analysis lab, which did my Metal-LTT. I thank the Director for being tolerate of me to explain various aspects of the testing.

What I heard was a bit different than what is found on their website, ie, the sample must be received "within approximately 24 hours for the cells to be alive enough for us to do the testing".

The Director said that they show 24 hours on their website to get people to not delay with getting the sample to them, that on an actual basis they have until about 48 hours from the blood being drawn, and that the real criteria is what the Known Stimulate (PHA) shows upon testing with the blood sample.

In my case, my Known Stimulate reading of 25.8 was "Highly Reactive", which means that my lymphocytes were definitely "alive and kicking" (my everyday terminology), and the test would give good results.

I am "Highly Reactive" to nickel with a score of 11.0, but not even showing a "Mild" [floor reading of 2.0]reaction to the other metals tested... cobalt, chromium, molybdenum, vanadium, zirconium, iron or titanium alloy particles, nor the bone cement particles.

However, he did mention that they have gotten reports from people with equivocal results (as mine were except for nickel) that when the metal was removed from the patients bodies, the symptoms in question did dissipate away.
And he said to remember that a patch test is entirely different type of test than a Metal LTT, that there has not been a correlation of the two tests results. One is on top of the skin, and the other is within the skin and with a very much different environment.

That to me means people can be reactive (allergic) to the metals, even though it cannot be duplicated with modern scientific tests. IMHO, symptoms seem to be the best basis for removal or not of the metal, IMHO, and tests may not be a good forecaster of what will come about with putting metals within the body. [It really means that our scientific masterminds are not the Lord, as they would have us believe.... that medicine is still lots of "art", just opinion/guesswork. ] Except, IMHO, people's reaction to nickel, via jewelery or whatever, falls under that catagory from body symptoms.

I do hear some clicking now, for the last few months, in my cervical spine every so often as I turn my head. Which I take to mean that perhaps I may be getting some vertebra bone against vertebra bone. I heard this before my arm started to hurt back in 1998, before my cervical fusion. In which case, I may be needing some ADR, or whatever, but of a non-metalic nature, hopefully. Unless I think in terms of perhaps titanium ( which may have the least allergetic effects, at least for the larger percentage of people) with putting up with some side effects until the vertebra fuse and I can get the metal taken out once again. And if the vertebra do not fuse, I am s------, maybe literally.

But remember, the screws may be a different alloy than the plate or whatever, because of "sheer force" considerations. I found that a Google search will turn up some interesting information about alloys, etc, such as there are at least 38 alloys of titanium, or what other countries' doctors think about "nickel allergy", or "chromium allergy".

I am going to opt for having the metal removed from within me, and hope that I am not seeing (hearing) bad things going on within my body needy more intervention in the future.

And, I will hope that a material will be developed that, at least more, if not all, bodies will tolerate better than the present crop of materials, especially for those who need the fixture to remain in their body.
I do not know what else that I might say about metal allergies, except to give the link for version # 2 of that "Turbo Encabulator"... and, I am sure that if I did that, then you very good and kind folks would throw me off this forum for sure.

However, I promise to continue to read what all are doing, or tolerating, and that I will post what happens after I get the metal removed from my body, probably some time in March (I hope).

I thank Harrison for all that he has done and is doing!!!
Wishing all wellness!
Old Codger

P.S. AKactivemom, if I were having to wear your shoes with what I have learned of late, I definitely would do Metal-LTT testing. It may not be a definite answer unless you were in one of the three reactive catagories. IMHO, if the test shows reactive(allergic) to a particular metal, you would most probably be reactive/allergic to that metal and should avoid it. If the results shows an equivocal result, as mine did, you would still have to gamble on the metal that goes into your body. But you will have increased the knowledge/odds in your favor of selecting the better answer. Good luck to you!!!
79 year old, loves to be very active, but am hampered as time goes on. Partial Cervical Fusion in July 1999, C4&5, C5&6; 2 each-Surgicals for Spinal Stenosis to eliminate neuropathy in feet and lower legs-Sept 2002, no help; Neuropathy cont'd for fifteen years; Clue to neuropathy from past history and new found info of allergy to chromium, nickel and cobalt.

Last edited by Old Codger; 02-23-2015 at 07:05 PM. Reason: To add PS for AKactivemom