View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynlite View Post
When surgeons look at our images I have been told they are getting about 50 percent of the picture. I think that explains why we get different answers from them.
In How Doctors Think, the author discusses this. For some conditions, radiologists looking at an MRI or X-Ray would later change their impression (if they re-examined the image) up to 8% of the time. A different radiologist might disagree up to 15% of the time. These phenomena are referred to as intra-observer and inter-observer variability. This is why a second opinion is so important, and multiple second opinions should always be sought, if time and resources permit.

Ironically, the author (a doctor himself), explains his biggest medical regret as a fusion he had done on his lower back. The book was written in 2007 - it would be interesting to know his opinions on ADR. I imagine he might be an advocate.

The bottom line: You can never guarantee a diagnosis or recommendation, you can just maximize the odds. As a patient, you ideally want 3-5 experts in agreement about your general treatment plan (though they may disagree on smaller issues).

Last edited by DrewDotNet; 03-23-2015 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Added a point