View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Gene View Post
Have you considered a Hybrid approach? ADR at L4/L5 and fusion at L5/S1? From reading these boards, it appears that when ADR goes bad at L5/S1 (perhaps only 1% of the time), it is really debilitating. On the other hand, fusion at L5/S1 seems to be the best level for it. Due to its positioning, you are much less likely to have future issues with fusion there versus other levels.
Hi NJ Gene,

I did mention L4-S1 hybrid to Clavel. He's open to not touching L5/S1 for now but doesn't seem too keen on a hybrid. I don't know if I can insist on the type of surgery I want him to perform. He says there's some motion at that level and it's important to preserve that. He also said his L5/S1 ADR patients do better than fusions.

Considering that my L5/S1 isn't perfectly healthy, I'm worried about not touching it now.
1) Will the trauma during L4/5 ADR surgery cause it to degenerate a lot quicker?
2) If I want to be semi-active after a successful L4/5 ADR, will it hurt the L5/S1?

If it weren't for my planned L4/5 ADR, the L5/S1 isn't bad enough to warrant a surgery by itself. Tough decision.

Thanks,
Mike
2015 - Symptoms became worse, can only sit a total of 1-2 hrs daily and walk 45 mins. Spend most of time in bed.
May 7, 2015 - M6 at L4/5 and C5-C7 at the same time by Dr. Pablo Clavel.
December 2015 - M6 at L3/4 & L5/S1 by Dr. Pablo Clavel.