Thread: Prehab
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Banned

Alastair, I don't know why we have such differeng memories, since I was at the AK just 2 months after you were.

Now, the AlphaKlinik starts PT at less than 1 week post-op. What they do is mild, but it is PT and they do ramp up the activity level so the people who stay for more than a week post-op are often doing pretty rigorous workouts for just a few weeks out.

The documentation that I was given at the AK said that after 6 weeks, there are no restrictions except "no contact sports at the professional level" I believe that this approach is a bad idea... OK in some cases... potentially harmful in others.

I have a Zeegers client who returned to his adult hockey leagues at 6 weeks and is not more than 10 months out and still playing several days a week.

Again, I think that this approach is a bad idea... especially with the uncoated Charite that patients are still getting in the US. Many of the patients I know who have complications returned to activities way too soon.... some just by doing seemingly innocuous things around the house, others by taking sporting vacations at 4 weeks out.

Everyone is different... what is perfect for some is absolutely wrong for others. The PT done at the AK is superior and I believe is fine... but I shudder to think of US patients going to their local PT clinic at a few weeks post-op and dealing with a therapist who is not well-versed in ADR recoveries and issues.

Be smart, be gentle, ramp up slowly, avoid extremes in range of motion or "peak loading", don't lift your 180 pound mastiff into your truck no matter how cute he is.

Mark