View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 07:47 PM

Default Catch a tiger by the toe

All the votes are in.

Surgeon # 4 recommended fusion but added that he couldn't really argue with ADR or hanging out and waiting.

He thinks that ADR is still too young and that the long term results just aren't there yet. He thought that in my case, since it's L5/S1, I wouldn't notice the lack of flexibility. He also added that the rest of the discs are in good shape and will likely hold up, and that if they did go the surgical technology would be vastly improved by then.

So I'm thinking.....in light of the ADR unknown, in light of 60K savings or/and insurance hassle, and that my outcome should be good either way, that I'm going to go with the fusion. I think....but I always agree with whomever I consulted last in the same way that my favorite dog breed is the breed I'm playing with at the moment.

I rang upstairs for a devine revelation but apparently the gods are out to lunch. Not even my husband, a physicain who has a staunch opinion on everything from politics to peanut butter, has anything definitive to offer, just that any decsion I make will be a good one. But he means from a logistical standpoint, not necessarily the outcome....which of course is the thing.

I applaud all of you who've actually stepped to the plate and took a swing. Not so easy.

Back to my ouija board....
Idet 4/08 No improvement
Now looking at ADR vs. Fusion
ALIF Fusion 2/10 Stanford