Thread: New to board
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 08:00 PM

Default Anyone with this strange symptom?

Hello everyone, I will be seeing the NS who initially offered a prodisc c for my c5-6 herniation. I have asked a few doctors about this symptom and I always get looked at like I am crazy. I am wondering if anyone here has experienced it.

At the back of my neck/base of skull i get a gurgling sound as if there is a pressure release. It is very difficult to describe but it feels and sounds as if you were forcing saliva through your teeth with your tongue. It lasts a few seconds and usually happens when I am laying down.

I used to think it was related to the Chiari Malformation and the backing up of spinal fluid, but the post surgery decompression MRI shows a HUGE area for spinal fluid flow. Besides, my CSF was never blocked.

I wonder if this could be from spinal fluid getting backed up at C5-6 due to the central stenosis? If that is the case, then the increased pressure in that area could in turn be putting pressure on the cord itself causing symptoms of myelopathy. Any opinions would be helpful.

For those who know what they are looking for in an axial MRI view, here is a picture of the central stenosis on the top and a good disc on the bottom for reference. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jason