View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 05:26 PM

The operative (disc trimming) report states:

"The patient was given a general anesthetic in the supine position. He was flipped prone on the Hall-Relton frame. The back was prepped and draped in a standard fashion. The skin was injected with 1:500,000 epinephrine solution. I performed a left-sided L5-S1 interlaminar dissection. A portion of the inferior lamina of L5 was removed, as was the superior portion of the lamina of S1. The ligamentum flavum was removed. A portion of the inferior articular facet of L5 was removed. I identified the traversing S1 nerve root. I used a Kerrison to follow this nerve root across the lateral recess to the level of the neural foramen. I then mobilized the nerve root medially. There was a moderate disk protrusion present here. I made a rectangular incision into the posterior annulus of the disc space. I then removed the disc material by piecemeal. There were some prominent fragments posteriorly, so I used a reverse-angled curette to push these fragments into the disc space. Once this was done, I then used a pituitary to safely remove the fragments. At the end of the posterolateral decompression and discotomy, the left S1 nerve root was completely free of undue pressure. I could easily mobilize it medially and laterally to the level of the neural foramen."

This doesn't seem to me to be a hemilaminectomy, as the MRI report stated. On the web, a hemilaminectomy is where they remove the entire lamina on one side. He only trimmed it. I can see it myself on the images.

I just sent AlphaKlinik the operative report. Maybe that'll help. I also asked...nay begged.....if I could Fedex my MRI CD to them so they can see the images for themselves.

I'm seriously crapping my pants.

Sorry for all the endless posts.

1997: L5-S1 left-side disc herniation
epidurals and perivertebral injections
Jan 23, 2009: discotomy in Toronto
July 2009: L5-S1 left-side further herniation
epidurals and perivertebral injections
June 8, 2010: L5-S1 Activ L ADR by Dr. Zeegers at Beta Klinik

https://sites.google.com/site/daveadr2010/