View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 03:03 PM

Default Discectomy would not proclude ADR

Symara,

Having another discectomy would not preclude you from having ADR in the future, buts lets be honest here---they are not really working. The disc continues to degenerate and protrude, and they can only remove so much (a discectomy is where they go in and remove the portion of the disc that is bulging). If your surgeon thinks they cannot remove the disc when they do ADR surgery, he is very very uninformed?! They have to remove the disc in order to put in the artificial disc, I know that without even going to med school!!

In my opinion (for what it is worth) you need to get another opinion, with a different doctor who knows more about ADR and fusion. Do you want to have discectomies over and over for the next several years, only getting temporary relief?? Go to at least 2 other spine doctors and get them to look at your MRI and your medical history, and get a more informed opinion. Your current doctor may be making money from performing discectomies on you, but from what I can tell it is not a long-term solution and is not working.

Good luck,
DDD confirmed via discogram at L4/L5 & L5/S1 (with issues at L3/L4 but no concordant pain) 3/06
Failed SED (Laser Endoscopic surgery) 4/06
2 level ADR (L4-L5 & L5-S1) with Maverick disc at Stenum 8/06
XLIF Fusion (L3/L4) 9/08