View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annapurna View Post
Ritter-Lang is the reason many people try to avoid Stenum. Clavel is the the exception to that comment and many people are willing to excuse him for associating with Stenum because he is such a good surgeon. You've actually chosen the one surgeon that is generally considered to be the biggest risk. He can do good work but has been associated with some of the bigger screw-ups on this board.
That is what I was going to say. Also, there have been major problems with the actual hospital facility itself. Bad infections, strains of viruses, etc.

After I read all those stories - no thank you! I am SO not taking that chance.

I very much liked all my interactions with the docs I mentioned (though I never had a contact with Dr. Pimenta, I have never heard a bad thing about him). I would feel comfortable with any of them cutting me open, based on the interactions I had. I went with Dr. Clavel for the main reason that I need six levels done, and he seemed to have the experience that best fit my personal needs (as in, he has done cervical and lumbar at the same time before).

I actually felt BAD telling Dr. Dare and the folks over at AIMIS that I was going with Dr. Clavel because I liked them all as PEOPLE (which is not an experience I have with most docs), so I think that says a lot.

Also, it was my understanding you could not undo a fusion? So you should get a second (and third) opinion. If Dr. Clavel, Dr. Pimenta, and Dr. Dare say they can't do it, I would reckon no one can.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.