View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 08:41 PM

Default New Member Intro from Florida/Norway

Hello,

I am so happy that I found this site. I have only begun to read through the wealth of information here, but it has already provided me with some guidance in choosing a surgeon abroad and has given me hope.

My pain started gradually occuring at first only when I was running high milage until, over a couple years, the pain in my left leg was occuring all the time. At the age of 25, I discovered that I had a severely herniated L5/S1 disc and a bulging L4/L5 disc. At that time, I was living abroad in Norway and their opinion was that it would heal itself. After several opinions and 9 months of hardly being able to walk, I sent my MRI's back home to the US for another opinon. Within a month, I had a discectomy on my L5/S1 in Florida and was able to walk immediately afterwards. I returned back to Norway and improved for a few months; then stagnated and then started to regress.

I moved back to the US in the middle of 2012 to seek help. The continual pain is due to an excess of scar tissue, which should eventually subside. With the help of an excellent chiropractor, massage therapist and personal trainer I am beginning to make gains.

But a few weeks ago, I discovered that the neck pain I had also been experiencing since Jan 2012 was not postural or related to my lower back pain. After being referred to 3 separate doctors, they discovered that I have a large herniated C4/C5 and a bulging C5/C6 with moderate to severe compression of the spinal cord. The pain does not present normally which is why it was not caught sooner. This came as a complete shocked and I devestated at the news. My doctor recommends ADR surgery as soon as possible, though we agreed that I should look abroad due to the fact that they have the M6 disc (not yet available here), have good surgeons and are cheaper for a self pay patient.

Based on what I've read so far, I am considering writing to Clavel, Zeeger and Bertagnoli for an estimate and time frame. I am hoping to get in soon, but have no idea what the wait times generally are. I'd appreciate if anyone has insight into this.

Thanks!
Monnie