View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 01:03 AM

Tiffany,

First let me ditto everything that Gene has posted.

Second... Getting state-side care if, God forbid, something goes wrong overseas is not just limited by insurance, but is also limited by the fact that many, if not most, US surgeons will not touch you with a 10 foot pole if you need care after a problem with your overseas surgery. There are a number of risks of going overseas, and the problem that you've cited is but one of those risks.

As Gene has noted, the probability of needing state-side care after an overseas surgery is very small, but as a few posters on this site have demonstrated, it is not zero. Are the risks worth it??? That is a question that only you can answer. Here are some further risks:
  • It may be very difficult in getting care in the US if something goes wrong overseas
  • No protection from the US legal system in the event of medical negligence by your foreign medical team
  • If complications occur, you will be required to remit payment at the time of treatment with your overseas provider (some offer insurance for protection in this unfortunate event)
  • If you come out of surgery worse than you went in (though rare, it does happen), getting home could be very difficult
I went overseas because my active lifestyle would have ended with further US care, and I believed (right or wrong) that I would have become an invalide or suffered an early death with US treatment (I had a very unusual case). I don't envy the decision that you're being required to make, because you can't know that it was correct for possibly many years. Overstating the importance of researching options and the outcomes of those options would be difficult.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011