Thread: Tax Write-Offs
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Gene View Post
Lilly,

I am a C.P.A. Everything related to the trip is tax deductible to the extent it exceeds 10% of your adjusted gross income. In particular, your flights and hotel are, so you should take them. However, if you extend your trip by an extra week to take an additional vacation I would not recommend including that. The amount of hotel time recommended by your medical team is reasonable, in my opinion. Here's the good part. Because you are going to exceed 10% of your AGI with this surgery, you should include things at home that you normally wouldn't think of doing. Every single copay of every doctor's visit you make should be included. The same thing goes for medications. Any out-of-pocket costs (not reimbursed by insurance) can be added in. If you see a mental heath professional by some chance, they are usually not 100% covered. Include the out-of-pocket cost. Same goes for acupuncture. You could even deduct the cost of a massage if you have a doctor's note that says it's necessary. If you file a joint return, your husband can include all of his medical related expenses. Last but not least, don't forget to include any supplemental health or dental insurance in which you pay for the premiums out of pocket (and are not already deductible as a business expense).
OMG!!!! You are a GODSEND!!! If you were in the room I would KISS you right now! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

We are staying two days beyond the seven included in the package, solely because it was $800.00 cheaper to fly out two days later.

This is the BEST NEWS EVER!

In case you couldn't tell, you just totally rocked my world.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.