Thread: newbie here
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 10:37 PM

Default newbie here

This all started back in june 2009 when I was driving and out of nowhere I was hit head on by a driver texting. After waking up I had the pain in the neck and other pains but the neck was there. I had a brace around my head and straped so I cound not move a nurse holding my hand as I woke telling me to relax and try not to move. I was scared and told I was in a accident and at the hosipital.

The staff had taken a cat scan of my head neck and thought they saw a chip on the post at the top of the spine the reason I was strapped down. It turned out negative whew! I was told to take Advil as needed for pain.

Fast forward, The ER was so relieved that my post was ok the c4/c5 heriated disc was missed. I started to get pain in the left shoulder first. I went to the Ortho DR. for the shoulder pain I was told I had a impingment in the shoulder and recomended a corozone shot for it.So I went for it.

It didn't work.I asked for anything for pain and he said just keep taking Advil.I was up to 12 advil a day by then he said it was ok. I started going to a chriopractor, of course they needed xrays of my neck/shoulder. They put together a program of ajustments I said ok. 4 months later I was in worse pain so bad that I was losing it with anyone and everyone. I went to the ortho again and they sent me for a MRI, I went to the standup mri in New Haven CT.

The findings were bulging/heriated disc c4/c5 I could see it on the mri copy I had.

I went to the chriopractor and gave them a copy and told them that I had a disc problem and they said there is nothing wrong with your discs! After the Ortho Dr. got the results I went in to see him he explained what was going on in the neck and recomended 3 steriod injections in the neck he said it would calm down the affected nerve. I agreed and we moved forward.
The first shot was a relief after about 4-5 hours,It lasted about a week and then back to pain. The next shot was the same but was good for about 3 weeks but the pain didn't get to bad after that. We went for the third this one hit the mark,the pain was gone after 15 mins and lasted for 5 months. I still was taking Advil for my neck muscles that were always tight.

I had gone to my PCP for a checkup/physcial exam she thought that I should try neurotion she said it should calm down the nerve endings. I asked her about side affects and she said the were minor. I would try anything to get back to normal. Well either it was me or the drug but I was a idiot after taking the first 3 pills! But I tryed to shake it off and move forward but after a week I was nearly comatose and could barely talk and when I did it made no sense. My wife brought me to the ER and and admitted for a overnight stay.

The Ortho Dr, wanted me to try Physical therapy so I gave it a try. At first it was ok and really didn't bother me. But as it went along it was way to much the pain started again so I said no more.

I just thought I would have to live with this. Now my Ortho Dr. who I just saw a couple of weeks ago said I could have a second round of shots so I jumped at the chance because it seemed to work for me. I got the shot and something new happened I felt pain after the shot in my neck muscles and into my left hand. After two hours it went away and I felt better, but it only lasted two days.

I went to see him for the follow up and he said no more shots and the next thing should be a screw plate to stabilize the disc. And he gave me a script for celebrex 200mg.

Up to this point I have gone along with the Doctors that I have seen,I mean they are Doctors they should know what is best for me. I am a Cabinet Maker I know wood not spines. So here I am, the plate and fusion are not for me. My wife has a massive lumbar fusion and now has spinal stenios that had to be operated on 2 years ago she still is a mess. I started reading about the ADR surgery and I think this could be right for me.I am very active and can't imagine living like this.

I have read and read and like what I read about the M6c replacement disc. At this point I need to pull the trigger and decide what to do.

Thanks for listening