View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Gene View Post
Good evening ADR members. I wanted to introduce myself. You can see what I've been through by looking at my signature. I am currently having radiating arm pain going down my right shoulder, arm, and tingling in the fingers. I've been through enough surgeries and conservative treatment and have had enough of it. I am now planning to go to Germany to Stenum Hospital in April to have ADR at C5/C6 and C6/C7. It is my belief (as someone without medical training) that the domino effect of 2 fusions putting pressure on my adjacent healthy discs won't stop until I have ADR. It is my hope that my upcoming surgery will be my last one of the neck (short of a major accident). Doctors in the U.S. suggest another foraminotomy. I truly believe that would be a mistake in my case. This is because I already had one at C6/C7. I know if I had a second one at that level, it would eliminate me as a candidate for ADR. I'm surprised at how difficult it is to find doctors in the U.S. who perform ADR. Is it because of all of the FDA limitations on the ones they've approved? The surgeon who performed my last fusion doesn't think going to Germany to get the M6 (a disc not yet approved by the FDA) is a good idea. From what I heard from former patients at Stenum, it sounds like a great product. I think there is a political element to the FDA. I welcome any feedback that others may have.
Yes, yes, and yes. It is because of the FDA, it is political, and you SHOULD go overseas.

That being said, I would not touch Stenum with a ten foot pole, nor would I trust them with my worst enemy's spine. Sure, some people have had success, but I have read too many horror stories about them and Dr. Bertignoli to even THINK about considering either one.

I would consult with Dr. Dare in the UK, Dr. Clavel in Barcelona, Dr. Pimenta in Sao Paulo, and AIMIS in Cyprus. The downside with AIMIS is they do not use the M6, but it is cheaper, so if that is a factor, you may want to consider them.

Also, your belief that the fusion is a domino effect is correct. It bears up under clinical trials too. ADR has a 2% chance of that happening. Those are pretty good odds.

If you need anything, feel free to pm me.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.