View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 12:11 PM

Default Cervical Newbie DDD C5-7 w/Kyphosis

LATEST MRI REPORT IMPRESSION:

1) Borderline developmental stenosis with an 11 mm canal at C4.
2) Discogenic disease, C5-6-7, with moderate to moderately severe right-sided cord compression at C6-7 and to a lesser degree at C5-6.
3) Severe right C5-6 and C6-7 neural foraminal stenoses with the left-sided foramina being less significantly compromised.

LATEST XRY REPORT IMPRESSION:

1) Cervical kyphosis with slight retrolisthesis of C5-6 which is stable on flexion/extension views. There is, however, limited range of motion.

First, thank you to all who share so passionately on this site. I have benefited greatly from the stories and knowledge offered here and I have the sense that others have, as well!

Over two years ago, I felt a lightning bolt down my right arm while helping out a friend on a small home-improvement project. Within six weeks or so the first images were taken of my neck, revealing a bi-level condition (herniaitions at C5-C6, C6-C7). The first surgeon I saw wanted to know what I did to my neck. Since the “electrical jolt” occurred while overhead hammering, this was not enough to explain the kyphosis (C5 posterior). I can only assume that I suffered a trauma at some point during my decades of using my body intensely. I can remember landing on my head, being hit in the head, bumping my head, a minor rear-end collision, etc. The wonderful surgeon informed me that I would need a bi-level fusion--at which point this grown man started crying. I had been practicing Yoga for over 20 years, consciously using my body with proper biomechanics, and consistently taking extremely good care of this sack of bones (other than the bumps and bruises) so as to avoid this kind of situation. I was shocked. The surgeon told me I could try conservative care, but said that he’d see me “back here in a few months.”

It took me a long time to accept my condition. Through daily therapeutic exercises my initial pain level went from a 9/10 down to a 2/3 within a year. I regained much use of my right arm/hand. It’s been nearly 30 months since the initial flare-up, and my condition has deteriorated since my healing plateau of over a year ago. I have noticeable loss of strength in my right arm/hand. I have pain and numbness in my right hand—hovering at about the 1-2 range, increasing with exercise and activity. I have some tingling/pain from time to time in the sole of my right foot (spinal cord compression?). I also now have some weakness in the left arm and some pain in my left fingers at times. I have curtailed much of my physical life-style in order to curb my symptoms. The surgeon who ordered my last MRI/X-rays said: “Your neck is ****ed up. I don’t know why you’re not in more pain.” Most people who see me move (I still practice a soft form of Martial Arts/Dance) are dumb-founded when I explain my condition and the impending likelihood of reconstructive surgery to repair my neck.

They say, “You’ll know when it’s time for surgery.” My ego has slowly succumbed to my condition. I would ideally heal myself without surgery—who wouldn’t?—yet my quality of life has suffered so much—especially the loss of strength and reduced level of physical activity--that I am not sure waiting any longer is a good thing for me. I have gone back and forth about surgery over the last year. I have ruled out fusion. I am on the brink of going to Europe for a bi-level ADR with the M6.

I pose some questions to the forum:

Has anyone been able to restore their cervical curve after ADR? What appears to be the prognosis after ADR for someone with kyphosis of the cervical spine? Has anyone seen information showing that a kyphosis with in-tact/artificial discs will lead to adjacent-level deterioration?

Wishing all sufferers of physical pain much relief and healing!

Sincerely,
Brent