Thread: New to DDD
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 10:21 PM

Thanks for the welcome, Harrison.

Definately more in the morning and throughout the night as I try to sleep along with sitting at work. I guess it seems like the less I move, the more it hurts, as long as I'm not bending or twisting. Walking definately makes it feel better. More than the pain though, I'm worried about the tingles and numbness down my left hamstring and big toes. It comes and goes but seems to be happening more frequently. Should I be alarmed?

I'm also getting what one surgeon called "referred pain" accross my sacroiliac joint and left groin/hip - it seems my muscles are mad at the nerves who are in turn mad at the inflammation.

I've tried swimming and definately need to get out more with that. The NSAID's really do help with the pain, but these 550MG Naproxens feel like they're eating a hole in my stomach.

I bought one of those Spinal Stretch devices as well to try and decompress each night before bed, but I haven't seen any results yet - though it's only been a month with that thing mind you.

TLA... terms of the license agreement!? I didn't ever sign a DDD contract I hope! Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean.

I think I understand that it is a disease and I'm terrified of it progressing further at L4-5 and squeezing these nerve roots even more and/or causing adjacent level issues. That's probably why every ADR surgeon I've spoken with has indicated I'm a good candidate. Then the hole quagmire of surgery rears its head. There seem to be a real mixed bag of outcomes and I'm not sure I'm willing to risk coming out worse than I am now... BUT will not doing anything now leave me crippled in 5 years anyway?

How does anyone know they are ready for surgery? Serious nerve compression and pain make sense... but is surgery the real answer for someone just trying to ski and play with their 20 month old daughter again? Is it unrealistic for me to want to be as active as I was a year ago?

I don't know... sorry for the rant.