View Single Post
Old 11-26-2017, 11:09 AM

Default Question

Jeep Brew, your situation seems similar to mine except I have two blown discs, C6/7 in addition to C5/6. I am currently scheduled a double level Mobi C up with Dr. Su in the bay area this Dec 14. I had a surfing neck injury 2 years ago that was probably the start of this, but the flareup that got me an MRI started Feb of this year after some overboard concrete countertop lifting.

Your post caught my eye because age and that your injury came from wake boarding. I know how fun that is and also how worked you can get when a rail catches at landing. For myself, if at all possible, post surgery/rehab/healing, I want to scratch my way back up my normal pre surgery physical condition, and return to surfing, mountain biking, and wrestling my 7 and 4 year old boys.

When I tell my doctor this he was honest in saying he has not seen the data that compares a successful cervical ADR with a successful cervical fusion. He said a professional football player would for sure opt for fusion. Im no football player, but I to want to be able to take a hit, as sometimes life deals you one no matter how careful you are. The above has got me searching for posts and info of cervical ADR patients who returned to moderate/high impact sports once healed, and how their hardware has held up over time.

So you are a young guy, Im sure you have hopes of getting right back into it, did you come across any ADR data showing how much they can take, what physically would have to be done for one to fail, and what options would one have if their ADR did detach or break?

I hope Im not sounding skeptical, but Im a realist who just wants a straight answer, without our health what do we have, so lets get it right the first time.

My best to you and your future...

x-ray/MRI showed moderate/severe DDD in C5-C6, and C6-C7, the bone spurs pinch the nerves that run down the right arm, causing constant tingling as well as inability to activate some of the muscles in my arm. In the top view of the MRI the Herniations bulge only about 2/3rds of the way across the spinal cord, I luckily have full control of the body below the chest except for minor tingling in the right foot.