View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwink23 View Post
From a well respected surgeon's opinion who doesn't have a specific tie to the Activ-L like Zeegers does.....Dr. Clavel stated to me himself he has done a few Activ-L discs for specific cases and confirms it to be a quality lumbar disc. He wasn't going to pick sides even as the majority of his experience lies in the M6. He even admitted the M6 wasn't perfect, since it hasn't yielded a perfect outcome in 100% of his patients. His experience lies in the M6, but would go with Activ-l if he felt the M6 wasn't suitable. A little off topic, but in regards to placing an artificial disc specifically at the L5-S1 level, Clavel mentioned there will a reevaluation as to whether implanting an ADR there is suitable at all, due the slope of the spine at that level and the sheer forces it takes. I know Activ-L boasts a design that addresses the S1 level specifically, but it seems that segment may be heading down the road to contraindication for an ADR. Food for thought. Until then, it's still up to the surgeon to decide. If your issue is with this S1 segment, it may be of greater benefit to go with the Activ-L. For patients seeking Clavel, it would be wise to mention this to him. Clavel has experience with it and would probably use it if you preferred, but Zeegers would be a better choice for this disc, his history with it is vast. It's amazing how much you need to be informed and be your own advocate when it comes to spinal care.
I think you've tapped into my own thinking here. Zeegers asked me what I thought the best course of action for my back should be. Interesting, a doctor treating you like a colleague is new for me. I'm not a doctor, but he's treating me like one. I like that. Anyway, I told him I thought 'a hybrid solution might be the best bet.' He wanted to know what I meant by that. I told him that I felt a movable device in the sloped L5/S1 puts it at risk for long term mechanical failure. Not a certainty of course, but 'more at risk'. Then, I told him I wanted ADRs stacked up over a fused L5/S1 since they would lay flatter without an angle.

We'll see. I'm still in the early innings here and I have to get his final thoughts as well as half a dozen other opinions cobbled together. I think the best course of action will be to take all the opinions and find the exact center of all of them. Wisdom in crowds thesis there.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.