View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 11:40 AM

Default Denied ADR, Need Help!

Short Synopsis: Minor neck issues for a couple of years. Woke up in excrutiating pain 7 weeks ago. Found out I have a herniated disc at C 6-7. Had a course of pred., along w/ painkillers. Referred to NS by my primary Dr. NS had me try traction, only lasted 5 days because of headaches. In consult yesterday I was offered three options.
1. Epidural shot- would help w/ pain but not a fix per se
2. One level fusion at C6-7
3. One level ADR

I have been doing A LOT of research over the last 7 weeks. I don't like the shots. I have had them for other issues ( foot & knee) and ended up w/ surgery anyway. C5-6 is iffy and I'm scared fusion will hasten the problems with the disc above. I decided to go w/ ADR for that reason and because the recovery time seems to be shorter. I have a job that would be very difficult if I was out 6 weeks. I was concerned that my insurance, BCBS of AL wouldn't cover ADR. (I live in FL) NS said no problem, BCBS of FL will approve with no issues.

Well, got the call this AM that BCBS of AL does not allow for ADR. It is not covered at all under my plan.

SO.....I'm looking for opinions. I was so prepared to move forward. Now I'm confused and don't know what to do. My pain is not debilitating, but definitely affects my day to day life.

Do I get a shot now and wait and see if BCBS changes there mind next year ( and hope I'm not doing any nerve damage by waiting) or go for a fusion?

Open to all opinions.

Herniated C 6/7