Thread: Seeking Advice
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 12:05 AM

Default Seeking Advice

Hello, my name is Casey and I'm a 27 year old male from Florida. I currently work in the law enforcement career field as a Detective and am a ex-SWAT team member. I have lived an extremely active lifestyle within my 27 years and even made it through the rigors of graduating from The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina.

Last July of 2012, I was on patrol in my assigned beat area when I came to a red light at an intersection in my marked patrol vehicle. I waited for the red light to turn green and began hearing screeching tires. I looked up into my rear window and observed a large SUV heading towards my car a high rate of speed. The large SUV collided into my rear bumper injuring myself and another civilian that was under arrest. The driver of the SUV fell out of the driver's seat severely intoxicated and was later arrested for DUI. My passenger was transported to the emergency room and I was released shortly after with a sore neck and back.

A few days passed and I began experiencing a sore lower back. I believed this was due to the crash and hoped it would subside with time. Unfortunately for me I began experiencing more and more pain and saw a neurosurgeon who ordered an MRI. The MRI findings stated:

"Anterior subluxation is at L5-S1 with bilateral pars defect. The L5-S1 is narrowed, degenerated, and unroofed by the subluxation with broad based disc protrusion projecting slightly superiorly behind inferior L5. The SI joints are symmetric in width without evidence of widening or effusion to suggest sacroililitis. No significant osteophyte formation is adjacent to the SI joints. No sacral fractures or other significant sacral pathology is identified."

The Impression:

"Spondylolisthesis 8-10mm slip and spondylolysis L5-S1. Broad based disc protrusion at L5-S1."

I began experiencing tingling in left leg with additional weakness. Standing for a significant amount of time began bothering me. I also had a sore lower back throughout the day.

The Neurosurgeon ordered ESI and physical therapy which didn't help. I finally had a microdisectomy and laminectomy at L5-S1 on March 8, 2012 with the hopes this would help my spondylolisthesis. I now am approximately 3 months out of surgery, have completed physical therapy and am still experiencing weakness in my left leg. The sciatica is not as severe but my leg is still not right. I also still have a constant sore lower back. Movement and exercise seem to help with the soreness but sitting and standing for extended periods kill me.

Any advice as to which procedures, ADRs, and or doctors that could help would be extremely appreciated. Any persons with similar issues would also be very helpful. I am willing to travel domestically or internationally to receive treatment. I want my life back that was taken away from an irresponsible person. Thank you for your time.