View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 04:07 PM

Waiting for Zeegers 'perfect diagnosis'. In the meantime, he gave me a little taste of it which shows multi-segmental lower lumbar DDD, the bottom two showing the most damage.

Malte got back to me yesterday. He is recommending a two level M6 at the L4/L5 which is basically gone as well as the L5/S1 ditto.

Here's his own words:

Dr. Bierstedt reviewed and commented your medical data.

Findings/diagnosis
Severe Degenerative disc disease L4/5, L5/S1

Moderate DDD at L2/3 and L3/4

Here's their recommendation.

Surgical decompression of the spinal canal by total discectomy, removal of osteophytes and artificial disc replacement L4/5 and L5/S1

Pre-operative discussion on disc replacement L2/3 and L3/4.
Assumption: these levels are clinically irrelevant. If symptoms develop in the future, additional disc replacements can be offered by lateral or posterior surgical approach.
For now these findings could be ignored.

I responded back to Malte and asked this.

I was curious about this....

" If symptoms develop in the future, additional disc replacements can be offered by lateral or posterior surgical approach.For now these findings could be ignored."

If I needed these two levels later on, do you mean you couldn't approach from the anterior like you would be this time? And if so, why? I never knew you could do an ADR from the posterior.

He responded back thusly.

The surgery will be performed by Dr. Bierstedt.
Ref disc replacement in high lumbar levels:
The anterior access to L2/3 is complicated due to the vessels. or higher leels Dr. Bierstedt uses a posterior approach

referencing this, the Triumph. Was wondering if anyone heard of it?

TRIUMPH® Lumbar Disc, posterolateral approach - Spine

However, what I want input on is that some here have received a 3 level ADR and vessels weren't an issue with you I assume so it is possible. Did Biersdadt or any other doctor mention higher lumber levels being a contraindication from an anterior approach?

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.