View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 02:47 PM

Default Microdiscectomy

Hi,

I had a microdiscectomy early 2009. From what I have read, it works pretty well for leg/sciatica symptoms but not all that well for back pain. That is also my experience. I had mostly back pain and very little leg pain. My surgeon told me that he would operate to get rid of my leg pain and he wasn't sure how much it would help my back pain. I did decide to have the surgery and it did take care of all my leg pain but my back pain just got progressively worse. My advice would be to ask your surgeon specifically what your chances are of improving leg versus back pain (not sure which type of pain you have) before spending the money. Another draw back of the microdiscectomy is that it causes scar formation around the nerve root where the operation is done (I have this problem now and it is complicating my decision process of fusion versus ADR). This scar tissue can be a problem later when an ADR or fusion is done (the scarred down nerve gets angry when distracted by placing an artificial disc or a cage for fusion in the interspace between the discs-this can cause life long nerve/leg pain problems).

Good luck with your visit!
Numerous Epidural Steroid Injections
Trying to decide: 2 level Fusion vs 2 level ADR