View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 02:44 PM

Dave,

I think you're mis-interpreting the statement because it seems to clearly say nerve compression is part of what would trigger an ADR recommendation. Basically, as far as I can tell, that statement means those are two of the common conditions in which ADR is appropriate. The most obvious one is herniation and nerve compression. I'm no expert, but I would imagine that any kind of nerve compression is a prime target for surgical resolution since the last thing you want is damage to your spinal cord.

However, the other one is a little more subtle. You can have fairly normal looking disc height (my case) and little to no nerve compression but still have a disc worthy of replacement. That's what a discogram is for, determining whether or not the disc is the cause of your pain regardless of whether or not nerve compression exists.

For example, to my knowledge, a herniation to one side or the other may not demonstrate nerve compression or associated symptoms. I've gotten that just from reading a little here and there about this stuff. Now, my own herniation was central and there were the beginnings of some minor nerve compression because the herniation was toward my spinal core. The compression wasn't too terrible yet, but certainly would have been in the long run. I kind of like to think I acted just in time to avoid major nerve damage. Disc height was ok which I think is what prompted the way my MRI report was written (that it was all minor herniations) which then triggered my initial surgical contact's reaction to say I wasn't a surgical candidate. That was based off of the written report alone, not a look at the MRI images. The second surgeon I spoke with took one look at the MRI pictures and said flat out that unless PT and such were helping, I was indeed a surgical candidate.

Once an actual spine surgeon takes a look at your MRI pictures, you'll likely get a much better diagnosis and plan of attack. At least, I would hope so anyway.

~Sara

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!