View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 11:51 AM

Default Post surgery "limits"

Hi Maysun,

Regarding the "strength" of an ADR, all of the docs I met with indicated sports are unlimited following surgery. Assuming all goes well and facets are good etc.

The few that recommended fusion for me did not indicate a fusion was stronger they recommended fusion for other reasons.

I would have expected this to come up (16 consults) given my recreational activities of climbing and running. I did both a lot and hope to do so in the future.

The only limits I was told had to do with prolonged "head back" position, not for strength reasons but they think for instance road cycling may aggravate my neck or rock climbing. I do mostly high altitude mountaineering and they think that will be fine, including skiing etc.

The only discrepancy I ran into was timeline for fully healed and that varied only a little. My doc stressed no sudden head jerks, falls etc for the first 6 weeks and has me wear a hard collar when outside but loosely. As basic protection and a reminder to take it easy (It is icy here). Surgeon gave me the green light for a bit of jogging at 2 months, short runs at 3 if all good and no serious contact sports for 9-12 months. For me, that means no rope/sudden head jerks.

He also indicated distraction pain would come in waves and should be gone in 2 months. So far that pain is very minor...3 weeks now and most of the day I have zero pain of any kind.

I'm playing it conservatively and intend to build some more muscle in my shoulders etc before a lot of impact activities.

I am not sure how much movement would be lost with a fusion, one doc said side to side for a 2 level fusion would not be noticeable but chin to chest and head back would be a little limited but would not impact normal activities.

In conclusion I have not been told an ADR is a weak spot.

Hope this helps, Runner

2016 - C5/6, C6/7; Disc extrusions, osteophytes, radiculopathy. Left side only.

Clinging to the fantasy this will resolve spontaneously on its own.

2017 - Gave up on the dream. 2-level C5/6 & C6/7 Signus Rotaio ADR 15Nov17

Last edited by Runner16; 12-07-2017 at 11:53 AM. Reason: typo