View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 06:21 PM

Default Warning signs that bad disks are getting worse?

I realize that as complex as the back is, that there are many different symptoms and issues related to everyones' unique condition. Nevertheless, I have a somewhat general question which has me quite worried.

As I saw each of the various back surgeons whom I've seen, they have all asked me about urinary and bowel issues. For example, one told me that I'd know I was in an emergent situation if in addition to my daily problems I suddenly gone incontinent.

I have had some "issues" over the last 3 to 4 weeks in these areas. My PC doc has sent me for x-rays last week, but I saw him again on Friday due to ongoing and somewhat worsening of my symptoms. I have to go for an abdominal ultrasound tomorrow. He wants to rule out the possibility of an enlarged prostrate or some bladder problem.

Although the whole mess has me concerned, I am very fearful that these are indications that my lumber disk issues have gotten worse. I am worried that this is going to push me to have to have a surgical fix to my back, and I won't be able to wait for the bi-level ADR. I don't want to be "forced" to have a bi-level fusion!

I was wondering first if anyone else had ever been told that urinary and bowel problems were warning signs that their back issues were worsening? If so, did it mean immediate attention? This really couldn't come at a worse time. I am so depressed about my health, the pain, and how these meds make me feel as it is. My family, and most upsetting my marriage is about as stressed as it can get! I've been taking Chantix for the past 10 days to quit smoking, and ironically enough tomorrow is supposed to be my first day cigarette-free! Aahhhh!!

Any thoughts? I understand that I'm sort of venting here, and I apologize for that and the length of this post. I guess I've had enough, and I'm too tired to do anything about it .........
2008-Positive Disco (L4/L5&L5/S1 annular tears)
Herniated discs at L4/L5/S1, bulging T12
Began constant/severe neck & upper back pain 11/09
Jan 10-Cervical/Thoracic MRI:bone spurs+new disc probs
Cervical Spine issues causing terrible pain beginning in July 2021 - scheduled for 2 level C-Spine ADR on Oct 19th 2021 now!! Part of Clinical Trial so unsure if Mobi-C or Baguera C will be implanted ....