View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 02:32 PM

Default Tim, I am in panic-mode ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconner94 View Post
James,

There really isn't a short answer to your question. However, some urinary or bowel symptoms are worse than others. As your doctors indicated, incontinence can be an indicator of a serious problem. However, difficulty starting your stream of voiding can be related to disk disease and/or nerve impingement but is not an indicator that immediate treatment is necessary. It shouldn't be ignored, though. During the last 3 months of my 2 yrs. of back pain, I started having considerable difficulty starting to void. Try 5-10 minutes in the morning trying to go. However, imaging showed no changes in my disk disease.

Since your doctor is checking your prostate, I'm guessing that you may be having the same symptoms. Keep in mind that many different medications including pain meds can cause this problem in addition to nerve impairment. Bottom line: It certainly needs to be checked out, but don't panic yet. It may be something simple. When was your last MRI?

Good luck

Tim
Thank you for your reply, Tim. I am experiencing the difficulty starting to void which you mentioned. I've been on the same pain meds for so long that I don't think they are the cause. I haven't had an MRI in quite a while for me. It could be over 9 months to a year ago. The ultrasound showed no prostate or any other problems, but I haven't heard form my PC doc yet. The doc who administered the exam, as well as the article I was directed to by CharlesinCharge previously, mentioned the possibility of a CT scan for further examination.

Unfortunately, I am in full panic mode! If this condition can only be resolved by surgically correcting my back issues, and if it must be done relatively soon, I am in trouble. My medical insurance won't pay for my bi-level ADR, leaving me with no other option than to have the fusion (I guess).

I realize that I need to calm down. I'm just having a little more stress than I can handle lately (pain, effects of meds, work, family & spousal issues). I hope that I hear from my PC doc soon and he has something to say. If nothing else, he is very good at talking to me straight, and is good at "handling" me.

Maybe I need to push my neurosurgeon for an earlier appointment than the one I have scheduled for April 1st?
2008-Positive Disco (L4/L5&L5/S1 annular tears)
Herniated discs at L4/L5/S1, bulging T12
Began constant/severe neck & upper back pain 11/09
Jan 10-Cervical/Thoracic MRI:bone spurs+new disc probs
Cervical Spine issues causing terrible pain beginning in July 2021 - scheduled for 2 level C-Spine ADR on Oct 19th 2021 now!! Part of Clinical Trial so unsure if Mobi-C or Baguera C will be implanted ....