View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJames View Post
Thank you to everyone for their input on my topic. I saw a urologist. Most importantly, he assured me that I do not have Cauda Equina syndrome! He put me on some medication (name and purpose I admittedly am unsure) and is sending me for some bloodwork. My PC doc took me off the Miralax which was actually creating some of my issues, and instead put me on 2 OTC meds. Pills, pills, and more pills! Now I'm taking meds to offset the side-effects of other meds! Ridiculous!

Thank you all once more - Jeff
Hey Jeff! I am female, and had / still having similar problems urinating. I was hospitalized shortly after my accident because they thought I had cauda equina syndrome. It turns out I did not. But that doesn't mean I wasn't incontinent. In fact, I still struggle with urinary incontinence a year and a half later. I find I have the worst problems on "bad back" days. I have been seeing a urologist for a year now, and was diagnosed with neurogenic bladder. (Read - It's back related.) But for some reason that wasn't considered an emergency. (Seriously... when you're a competent adult and suddenly relapse to pre-potty training days IT CERTAINLY FEELS LIKE AN EMERGENCY.) But I, like you, would have been forced to have a fusion because my insurance company refused to pay for an ADR. So, I held off.

Since then, I've also developed this annoying problem with chronic UTIs from urinary retention. So, I understand your frustrations. I was on Detrol LA for a while, and that seemed to take care of it. Then when I started having side effects, I switched to Sanctura. I ended up having to come off both of them because they were blurring my vision to the point where I was unable to drive or read. So, now I resort to the old fashioned sanitary pad...

I've finally given up on the insurance thing. They just aren't going to pay, and I'm just NOT going to allow my back to be fused. It's been close to two years now, and I'm finally getting my ADR anyway. Though, I will be going to Germany to get it, and it's going to wipe me clean financially. IF you want it that bad, you may want to consider doing something similar. My single level ADR is going to cost me around $30K (about $100K cheaper than having this done in the states), and my surgeon has extensive experience with ADRs. More than most have in the US. The way things are going with our medical system, it is probably going to be at least several years before this type of surgery becomes routinely covered, even though single level ADRs have already been FDA approved. So, unfortunately, people like us get left in the dust.

All in all, I wish you the best. And I'm here if you need to rant!

9/07 - MRI - herniation and moderate DDD L5-S1

10/07 - Lost job, unable to work

12/07 - PT x 2, not much help

2/08 - ESI #1, 2 day relief

3/08 - ESI #2 and LP, no relief, had CSF leak
3/08 - blood patch, sneezed & dislodged needed another

1/09 - MRI shows 10x9x8 left posterior-lateral herniation L5-S1 with nerve impingement, DDD worse

2/09 - ADR scheduled 5/8/09 with Dr. B in Bogen, Germany