View Single Post
Old 03-21-2015, 10:31 AM

There has been quite a lengthy and productive conversation going on here, and I thought I may just chime in for a moment.

The most important factor in making your decision is not only the research you have conducted, but the "gut" feeling you have when you feel you have made the right decision. All of the surgeons you have inquired about are highly qualified and experienced in multi-level ADR surgical placements, unlike the US. Like you, I needed to have intervention on several levels and fusion was my only option. I have a relative that opted for this situation and is facing paralysis unfortunately - only due to continued degenerative disease forced upon the adjacent levels. In some cases, it really is the only option, but why stop there if there are possibilities of repair and regaining mobility.

My experience: I had contacted Dr. Bertagnoli due to my initial research and his extensive and lengthy expertise in ADR placement. I didn't know at the time that he had a business relationship with ProDisc; making it a conflict to use M6 (ProDisc has several patent lawsuits against M6; mostly as a deterent for FDA approval - these lawsuits have been determined unfounded and dismissed). In my opinion, the M6 was the only device I would have considered.

Post Surgery: I have 3 levels replaced from C4-C7. Other than my scar, no one can tell that I have "metal" parts. I don't feel any different; other than normal now. I have resumed all my loved sports once again; even did a cartwheel when my students all passed their math test - I am in my 50's.
In regard to insurance coverage, Dr. Bierstedt had supplied me with detailed information regarding his exam, determination of intervention, and prognosis. I submitted everything through my insurance and within 4/5 months, I was reimbursed - COMPLETELY. The travel expenses were a medical deduction on my tax return. It can be done!

My advice is to make sure you choose a surgeon who is free to make the best possible choice for YOU. You should consider someone who has the ability to use the best device that will give you the best surgical outcome, and not confined by political/financial regulations (not necessarily healthful).
An M6 can be replaced if a failure was to occur. This is not the case with the ProDisc. Fusion is the only option after that.

Please...no offense to anyone who has had success with other options. I only have the M6 and I feel it was a Godsend that I had discovered it; along with this support group. I am a success story and grateful everyday to have my life back. I can't help but share my compelling urge to praise not only the device, but Dr. Bierstedt, as well for giving me back my life.
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Sept 9, 2013 Scheduled with Dr. Bierstedt C4/5 & C6/7 M6