View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 04:41 PM

Mariaa,
I don't think that I could have gotten a better perspective on this issue than yours - thank you so much. Nothing like hearing the experience of someone who "was there" to give one some serious perspective.

I had not considered the social effects of simply accepting my back pain and not attempting to correct it or mitigate it with pain med's. I already live in a small, rural town with few friends and no family nearby. If I were to become a shut-in, I would probably be giving up most contact with anyone other than my husband.

I also forgot that bone density losses due to inactivity can be a one-way street - especially at our age. That's got some serious long term life consequences. If my husband needed my support down the road, I would, in effect be saying that I'm not willing to do what it takes to even have the possibility of being there for him.

On that basis, I guess there is some sort of obligation to do all we can do to at least not "burn bridges" healthwise since we don't know if/when our loved ones may need us in the future. Thanks for that perspective - I never would have thought of it that way. You've given me a clear answer to my question.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog