View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 10:13 PM

Have you gotten closer to when/where you are going? That will make a difference. I know you were interested in Spain and England, if I remember correctly. Traveling around once there is very different in those 2 locations, and was discussed at some length a couple of weeks ago. Need a car in Hampshire, England. Don't need a car in Barcelona.

Only speaking for myself, but here are my thoughts to some of your specific questions:
1. The hospital had a higher toilet seat, but I didn't need one once discharged.
2. Other than the reacher (very handy - offered by the therapist in England but I had brought my own), I had a long handle sponge for the shower. Also very handy those first 3 weeks until I felt comfortable standing on one foot. I also had a sock aide and stretchy shoe laces - but I'm an OT so I brought all possible gadgets at my disposal. You can bring your feet up on a bed out in front of you within the first few days, you just can't bend over to the floor. I bought a shower chair for home - I've never used it. Standing in the shower is not a problem after the first few days post-op.
3. My long day of travel was not painful - just tiring. I flew at 3 weeks post op to the day on regular seats. Full pain meds (plus a glass of wine per surgeon blessing!) , moving frequently, and day time flying were my magic prescription, (especially the day time flying so I didn't try to get comfortable for sleeping.) We used the electric carts that airport personnel drive to get around between flights in Heathrow due to distance. Small and lightweight carry ons only. She'll be able to carry a purse or something light.
4. Tourist? Yes for me and many others. I actually was in a pub the same day I left the hospital. The only thing you CAN do for awhile is walk, so why not walk around the cool places? Will you be able to hop on a bus and travel 2 hours away - no. Can you see the cool neighborhoods, cathedrals, museums closeby - yes. If you haven't traveled overseas before - everything is different and exciting. You don't have to go far.
Week 3 for me was very comfortable with minimal to moderate amounts of pain meds with my 2 level (1 ADR, 1 fusion). I could travel an hour by car, and be up and about with position changes all day.
If you end up in England - we have lots to talk about!
http://healthyback2011.blogspot.com/