View Single Post
Old 05-27-2016, 09:20 AM

Default A year later, no surgery, symptoms mostly gone

Well it's almost a year since my surprise conversation with a local neurosurgeon, urging me to schedule a two level cervical fusion or disk replacement because of a large cervical herniation on my MRI, with what appeared to be some mild cord compression. My symptoms at the time were arm and shoulder pain, but nothing severe, probably like a 2 or 3, on and off, but the neurosurgeon thought there was too much risk of paralysis in case of a fall or accident, and insisted on getting me scheduled for surgery.

I said no thanks, and ended up finding 4 of the most reputable spine surgeons I could find, at very well known and respected spine centers, for more opinions. All of them had the same opinion - my symptoms were too mild to warrant surgery and the associated risks. One of them commented that they see this a lot - people with bad MRIs getting rushed into surgery by less experienced doctors, and/or those with questionable motives (covering their *** or financial). They all discounted the hypothetical risk of paralysis due to a fall or accident, especially compared with the risk of complications from any type of spine surgery.

Since then, I've stopped sitting while working (got a standing desk), made swimming and core exercise a part of my weekly routine. I've also become much more conscious about things that put strain on my body, and avoiding them.

The arm and shoulder pain gradually faded, for the last few months I hardly notice any discomfort, except some occasional mild tingling after sitting for a while (can't avoid sitting completely). Movements / positions that caused immediate pain or numbness a year ago, no longer do.

It's hard to say if I'm completely out of the woods, or if it's just a matter of time before pain returns, but I do think there are some lessons here:

1. Pain related to herniated discs can definitely improve with exercise and changes in posture, but it may take a while and require self discipline and potentially some big lifestyle changes.

2. MRIs don't tell the whole story, but many surgeons are very willing to use them as the only basis for spine surgery. Do your homework, and find the most experienced doctors for second opinions.