View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 01:29 AM

Smile A new life after ADR

By coincidence, I found this forum exactly four weeks after getting a Prodisc-C at C5-6.

So far, it's been good. The arm pain is reduced, intrascapular pain has almost disappeared, and I've got more range of motion than I've had in years. The various muscles that get stretched during the surgery are still a bit sore, but getting better as well. An unexpected benefit is people say I look better. Apparently, I'd been wearing over ten years of chronic pain on my face all this time.

I was in line for a fusion, but my insurance company changed their mind, and as of October 1, 2011, UHC decided to cover cervical ADR. I'd already done some research on ADR before then, but kicked it way up once I knew it was an option. My surgeon has done a few hundred of these, so I was comfortable with his skill and experience.

My C6-7 has more or less auto-fused, (Doc says it set up perfectly with the foramina wide open) and I need some work at C7-T1. Hopefully a micro discectomy will do the job there, otherwise, I'll be looking at an ACDF there.
Oct '08 - Sudden incapacitating lumbar / sciatic pain with foot drop
April '09 - L5-S1 microdiscectomy fixes foot drop and most of the pain
May '11 Hey doc, I'm tired of my neck hurting...
Dec '11 - C5-6 Prodisc-C
July '12 - Neck is still doing well. L5-S1 is "done" - bone on bone
July '13 - L4-L5-S1 TLIF
Aug '13 - C7-T1 microdiskectomy