View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 03:34 AM

Default Introduction. Trying to make a decision.

Hi everyone,

I have been battling back pain since 2009 when I ruptured my L3-L4 disc. Throughout the last 8.5 years I have had probably half a dozen acute flare ups where my back pain puts me out of commission from 2-4 weeks then gradually gets better. I have used rest, chiropractic, ibuprofen, and epidural shots for pain and healing. The pain and stiffness never go away completely between acute episodes, and overall my symptoms are progressively getting worse. Mri shows that I have ddd from L3-S1 with nerve compression at L3-L4 due to decreased disc height and a large disc fragment in the central canal pressing on the dural sac. Additionally, there is severe neuroforaminal narrowing at that level.

In the past I have only had low back pain, however after my most recent acute episode(Sept. 20) I have developed hip and leg pain as well that won't go away. I am getting to a point where my quality of life is suffering. I have been a very physically active person. I am a rancher by trade and my profession requires a lot of physical labor. I love to play and coach basketball. Additionally, I am the father of 4 kids ages 5-14. I want and need to be able to move with less pain than I have now.

I have been to three doctors for opinions on what I should do. They have all suggested microdiscectomy at L3-L4. One of them also recommended stem cell injection following microdiscectomy. One of them did say that he wasn't sure microdiscectomy was enough for me. He said I may need a new disc. Additionally, one of them said that with my lifestyle I would be at high risk for reherniation and that microdiscectomy alone would only fix my hip and leg pain and not my back pain.

So, I have been researching for more options on the internet which brought me to the adr forum. I have read a fair bit on this forum and have found it to be very informative about the realities of adr. From what I have read, it is a major surgery and no cake walk. However, it may have the potential to fix my back pain, my leg pain, and improve my mobility. Or it may not work. I believe that I am probably a candidate for this surgery, however I'm not sure if I should try the microdiscectomy or microdiscectomy with stem cell first and see if it works or just go for adr.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Harrison; 01-20-2018 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Added Paragraph breaks