View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 09:45 AM

Cheryl, By all means get your husband involved. You can't do this alone and shouldn't. Your finances involve him as well - unless your both independently wealthy (my dream). He may have some great resources or thoughts too.

The first thing you will need to do is fill out an application. They will guide you through the process. The value you receive greatly depends upon your current loan to value. Due to the poor lending practices in recent years, banks and mortgage companies scrutinize more, but that really is more protective on both parties. There are just way to many people who are over extended in their debt. Of course, like your first mortgage, a credit report, work history and appraisal on your property are all the factor needed. I don't believe it is necessary to give personal details of its purpose.

I opened a line of credit about 5 years ago. I have a fixed "max" amount that I have access to. Like a checking account, I write out a check to cover whatever it was I needed and I pay back on the principal and interest (only on the amount I used). Fortunately, I have a fantastic rate 1.5% and only have to pay on the interest. The principal is due on its 10 year birthday (which I have 5 more years to pay). By then, I hope to sell my home and pay it off - get something smaller. PLUS, (bonus here) I will be able to go back to work and increase our income.

Other resources: IRA - although you take a hit with the 10% penalty and its taxable in the year you take it out (not social security), but if you are like me, with barely an income, your tax rate may be low and the impact won't be so drastic. Again, you take out what you need. Pulling money from a credit card can be (and is) a financial nightmare - not recommended unless it is a small amount and you can pay back quickly. You may be able to find a credit card that will allow you interest free rates for a period of time - use this for your travel expenses - Capital one MC does not charge for international exchange transactions.

As I am gathering my finances to pay for my trip, I will certainly pass along my strategies to you (if it helps). You can PM me and we can exchange cell #'s. I'm learning a lot as I go along.

OOHHHH one more thing. When you send money (transfer US to Euros), look into the method of trade. The banks charged an extra few cents which can amount to a larger sum for exchange - check out XE Trade (if necessary).
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Sept 9, 2013 Scheduled with Dr. Bierstedt C4/5 & C6/7 M6