View Single Post
Old 07-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Yo Labbie, thanks for finding us. This seems like a new device for many of us; so, I looked into it a little bit. Here’s a good overview of the companies making lumbar spacers; let me know if you want the full text article:

Interspinous Process Devices in the Lumbar Spine. Journal of Spinal Disorders & Techniques. 20(3):255-261, May 2007.

Bono, Christopher M. MD ; Vaccaro, Alexander R. MD
A growing number of interspinous process devices have been introduced to the lumbar spine implant market. Implant designs vary from static spacers to dynamized devices. Furthermore, they are composed of a range of different materials including bone allograft, titanium, polyetheretherketone, and elastomeric compounds. The common link between them is the mechanical goal of distracting the spinous processes to affect the intervertebral relationship. In contrast, the purported clinical goals are more variable, ranging from treatment of degenerative spinal stenosis, discogenic low back pain, facet syndrome, disk herniations, and instability. Though some clinical data exist for some of these devices, defining the indications for these minimally invasive procedures will be crucial. Indications should emerge from thoughtful consideration of data from randomized controlled studies.

From the Nuvasive financial news press release:

http://www.freshnews.com/news/biotec....html?NuVasive

ExtenSure - an interspinous dynamic stabilization and fusion system allowing decompression through a more natural restoration of the spinal anatomy. ExtenSure's primary indication is for lumbar spinal stenosis.

From the FDA:

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/510k/sumdec05.html

DEVICE: NUVASIVE COROENT EXTENSURE SYSTEM
NUVASIVE, INC. 510(k) NO: K052210(SPECIAL)
ATTN: LAETITIA COUSIN PHONE NO : 858-909-1868
4545 TOWNE CENTRE CT. SE DECISION MADE: 12-DEC-05
SAN DIEGO, CA 92121 510(k) SUMMARY AVAILABLE FROM FDA

I looked at the Nuvasive web site, but I am too stupid to be able to find the information that should/maybe on that site. Please let us know what secrets are unveiled….

By the way, let us know when your birthday is…we’ll chip in and buy you a leather bathrobe for those nasty staircase adventures…
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate