ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
No worries. I tried NSAIDs like celebrex - no relief. I tried Pregabalin, it made me VERY tired and didn't really do much for the pain so I stopped after a week. Never tried narcos beyond Tylenol 1. For the most part I lived with the pain. Oh yeah I also used a TENS unit which I found helpful for very acute episodes.

-Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I've been on low dose Pregablin for a week now, and coping well, better than I did with Gabopentin in 2004 :-)

I've been booked in for my ADR for L5/s1 on the 4th June, however on the 23rd April I'm having a Discography on L4 as that's ruptured also so my surgeon wants to see if whilst he's in my abdomen is it worth popping in a ADR in L4....what fun.

Hope your keeping well
2013 Nerve root block relief lasted one week
June 2013 booked in for ADR M6
Old 04-14-2013, 10:44 AM

Hi Mike,

Just read your thread. Seems like you have a good doctor with experience using the 'best' implant.

In addition to the points made by Jeff and Lillyth I would add:

1. Discography is seen by most surgeons as a good diagnostic tool but it is not without risks. Infection and generally what you can imagine from sticking a foreign object into your discs. You will only want to do this once. i would personally advise to mentally prepare yourself so you can distinguish chronic from acute pain when you are being probed! the answers you give are important. I would not make any decisions without a discogram.

2. Please do yourself a favour and get a DEXA scan for bone density. This together with your discogram results could have profound effects on the best treatment options

3. I would also wonder if you have had your facet joints eliminated as a source of pain? This is a common step prior to surgery. have you had facet joint blocks? Have you had a high definition CT scan?

Good luck
Walter
discectomy (made pain much worse - back and leg)
surgeon suggests fusion or ADR
DEXA shows osteopenic (-2.1) in lower spine
Discogram confirms L4/L5 & L5/S1 (L3/L4 is fine for now)
Double fusion booked as not candidate for ADR
Last ditch effort to get ADR
Rejected hybrid using Prodisc
April 2013 - hybrid L5-S1 (ALIF) + L4-L5 (M6) - Mr Lam

Last edited by walterwhite; 04-14-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-19-2013, 11:37 AM

Thanks for your reply Walter.

Luckily enough I have quite a few Dr friends and even though they agree the Discography is a uncomfortable procedure, it is one worth doing to confirm diagnosis and see if I need one ADR or two............I'll be back to six foot before I know it, better tell my agent in no longer want a part in The Hobbit
Old 04-19-2013, 11:55 AM

Hi Mike,

I agree and as I wrote, a Discogram is a worthwhile diagnostic procedure but as you pass from one doc to another on your journey, especially if there are time gaps between visits, they may want to repeat it. I would personally not want this more than once. My point was to maximise your diagnosis accuracy by mentally preparing to distinguish your back pain from the pain of the procedure. You will be sedated.

Wish you the best with the procedure. It's uncomfortable but not too painful. Weird if anything.. Keep us posted.

Walter
Old 04-24-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterwhite View Post
Hi Mike,

I agree and as I wrote, a Discogram is a worthwhile diagnostic procedure but as you pass from one doc to another on your journey, especially if there are time gaps between visits, they may want to repeat it. I would personally not want this more than once. My point was to maximise your diagnosis accuracy by mentally preparing to distinguish your back pain from the pain of the procedure. You will be sedated.

Wish you the best with the procedure. It's uncomfortable but not too painful. Weird if anything.. Keep us posted.

Walter
Hi Walter,

All done thank God, and it was painful but I am so glad it's been done. The Discography has not only confirmed the pain I have is starting at L4 but it also diagnosed a tear in L3 that the MRI never picked up. I have a date for a ADR in June for L5/S1 and L4 so I'm waiting to go back and see my consultant next week as I'm not sure if you can have three corresponding disk replacements.

I'm so glad of the sedation though as that helped, however after the procedure I told my consultant that his carrer in acccupuncture is limited
Old 04-25-2013, 03:43 PM

Hi Mike,

Glad it went good for you and it's over. I also had some pain at 3/4 and it wasn't clear if this was a culprit or not. They experts decided on balance and when looking at all the imagery that 3/4 was healthy enough and an ADR beneath it would stop it getting any worse.

There are people much more qualified to give advice on three levels. June is not too far away -exciting.

Walter