ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:40 PM

Default New member considering pro disc L3-4 and L4-5

An ex athlete I am 52 years old and played sports for recreation (mostly basketball and tennis) . 6'1' 195 I am fit and still in good shape. My original back injury was in 1986. I went through PT for 2 years and slowly got back to playing sports but my back would flare up or go out on me from time to time. With excellent insurance and the best PT and Dr.'s I managed to play basketball till 2006 jumping as high as 36" . In 2007 I was convinced to have a hip labral repair surgery. This made my back even worse. I have 3 flattened discs L2-3 L3-4 and L4-5. I also have annular tears at 3-4 and 4-5. I have seen the had of back surgery at UCLA , USC, DISC, Brottman Hospital and consulted with Dr. Rasouli and Dr. Robert Wadkins. Wadkins consults with the top athletes around the country and has been part of the studies done with Pro Disc.

I have insurance with Anthem Blue Cross who have denied the surgery. I disputed with the Insurance commission who sided with Blue Cross and suggested fusion. Fusion is not an option an I have damaged hips and dont bend well . The cost for the surgery at Cedars Sinai is 70K plus Dr.'s fees likely another 20 to 30K. Wadkins works with Daniel Freeman hospital where the cost is 40K plus Dr.'s fees another 30 or 40K.

Aside from the financial harship Rasouli and Wadkins say I will do great . 2 nights in the hospital, back to work in 2 weeks and full activity in 2 months. From what I read on this site that sounds unlikely. I am told I am a good candidate for the surgery with plenty of space, mostly back pain and a youthful strong body. Can anyone share their ideas and thoughts about my situation. I need to do something as I have no life with an unstable back. I am truly worried about not recovering or what I might have deal with if I have the surgery. I want my life back but want some feedback from people who have had this type of surgery.

Rick
Old 08-14-2010, 10:10 PM

Rick,

Condolences on your terrible situation. Like you I am very athletic and can't imagine having to become sedentary.

I would suggest this book. This woman was facing a terminal condition without a treatment that her insurance company would not cover. This is her story of getting them to cover the procedure; and yes, now 6-8 years later, she's doing well. She gives a lot of advice and examples on getting insurance companies to cover non-covered treatments. She claims to have dozens of successes with only two failures.

BTW, I have never heard a kind word spoken about Anthem BCBS.

If you are open to it, there are much cheaper ADR options in other countries. This site and this site both connect US patients with health care services in other countries; Germany, Brazil, Costa Rica, India and Mexico are all popular lower cost destinations (I went to Spain).

Good luck!

Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 08-15-2010, 12:17 AM

Thanks for the advice but my concern now is not so much the money but if can and will recover from this surgery. It is elective and I am hoping to get feedback about how somebody did after a similar surgery under similar circumstances
Old 08-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Rick, pls take some time to read, read, read! For starters, see the ADR Risks, Complications, Disqualifications topic in Arthroplasty Central. Then review as many post-operative recovery stories in the ADR Post-op Outcome forum. People have shared the good, bad and the ugly of their personal life to help better inform people just like you.

There are no easy answers, so please read. If you can identify with any particular patient stories, private message those members. Most people are caring and will respond to your inquiry (assuming they keep their email services up to date).

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate