ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:38 AM

Default Cortisone flare

I have very severe increased pain for 24hrs after cortisone shots.... Far worse than dental pain (I get some things done without freezing). It's so awful. I am dreading another shot for bursitis...
Anyone have ideas for how to minimize the bad pain after the shot (with fluroscopy)? Ice, rest, pain meds don't help at all... I don't know that I can go through another but my bursitis is so bad :-(
Thanks
Severe issues 2013. degenerative disc disease 2013, disc protrusion, mild stenosis. Epidural steroid injections, chiro, massage, accupuncture, too many meds to list, Naturopath, physio, occupational therapy, kinesiologist, counselling...
M6 Artificial disc replacement @l5-s1 Nov 2015, in Canada
June 2016 - still struggling...Physio, accupuncture, massage, counselling...
Old 05-30-2016, 03:33 AM

I have learned that these steroid shots are tricky business. The doctors all act like they are no big deal but, in fact, we need to be careful with them and go to the ER if you have a bad reaction. One of the members here had a steroid injection in her spine and almost died. Of course, she thinks they are all evil now LOL. Personally, I am not a big fan of drugs because my body often reacts badly to them but, having said that, I am also grateful for the ones that work. I just have to be careful.

I have had steroid shots in my spine about four times and had no positive results from them. They are supposed to help only about 50% of the time. I always gain weight from them which I don't like one bit. I think you are talking about bursitis in your shoulder right? If so, I know exactly what you are talking about because mine hurt something awful and the only thing that calmed it down was the steroid shot. I have had this done by three different doctors over the last 8 years or so. There are several different drugs used and one of them I don't react well to...the other is fine. Also, the dosage makes a difference for me. A simple small shot in an office setting is always a better reaction than when they use their little surgical center and use more of the drug. With the bad one, my blood pressure shot up and I generally felt pretty terrible for a day or two. The doctor that got it right in my shoulder, (office setting) used an ultrasound machine to get the injection in the right place. I just sat in a chair with a technician running the ultrasound machine for the doctor. I got the best and longest results from his shot with the results lasting about two years before the deep, screaming pain came back into my shoulder. I hope this information helps.
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 05-30-2016, 09:17 AM

I had two epidural steroid injections in my back. The actual injection was a breeze. No noticeable change in pain for 6-8hrs...and then all hell broke loose for almost 24hrs. Severe increase in pain and then back to baseline for 10 days and then improvement in my bending.

More recently I had an injection into my hip bursa for greater trochanteric bursitis. Rest, ice, anti inflam meds wouldn't touch it. Fluroscopy guided injection. Freezing helped immediately (unlike with back. Glorious).... Then, 6-8 hrs later...extreme pain. I've discussed it with a few docs and a pharmacist, but they think benefits outweigh costs and don't have a solution for that 24 Hr brutal pain spike. I've read about usual cortisone reactions (ice, Tylenol), and know I have a very unusual reaction.... But I am in a double bind because my hip won't calm down on its own.
Severe issues 2013. degenerative disc disease 2013, disc protrusion, mild stenosis. Epidural steroid injections, chiro, massage, accupuncture, too many meds to list, Naturopath, physio, occupational therapy, kinesiologist, counselling...
Old 05-30-2016, 09:20 AM

Thanks - I'll get my records to look at drug type and dose used

QUOTE=Cynlite;113630]I have learned that these steroid shots are tricky business. The doctors all act like they are no big deal but, in fact, we need to be careful with them and go to the ER if you have a bad reaction. One of the members here had a steroid injection in her spine and almost died. Of course, she thinks they are all evil now LOL. Personally, I am not a big fan of drugs because my body often reacts badly to them but, having said that, I am also grateful for the ones that work. I just have to be careful.

I have had steroid shots in my spine about four times and had no positive results from them. They are supposed to help only about 50% of the time. I always gain weight from them which I don't like one bit. I think you are talking about bursitis in your shoulder right? If so, I know exactly what you are talking about because mine hurt something awful and the only thing that calmed it down was the steroid shot. I have had this done by three different doctors over the last 8 years or so. There are several different drugs used and one of them I don't react well to...the other is fine. Also, the dosage makes a difference for me. A simple small shot in an office setting is always a better reaction than when they use their little surgical center and use more of the drug. With the bad one, my blood pressure shot up and I generally felt pretty terrible for a day or two. The doctor that got it right in my shoulder, (office setting) used an ultrasound machine to get the injection in the right place. I just sat in a chair with a technician running the ultrasound machine for the doctor. I got the best and longest results from his shot with the results lasting about two years before the deep, screaming pain came back into my shoulder. I hope this information helps.[/QUOTE]