ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:32 AM

David,

If the Discogram report is not good enough the Neurosurgeon may just send you for a CT or perhaps another discogram, this time with film....

Im sure he wouldnt throw you out becasue your ortho didnt take film.....

Best of Luck!!!
Lost all ADR Appeals w/ UHC PLIF Fusion L5-S1 on 5/17/05.
Pars Defect L3-L4
DDD L3-L4 L4-L5
3 LVL Fusion Scheduled 4/08
Old 04-25-2005, 12:02 PM

I would be totally ok with going for a CT scan or (*gulp*) another discogram.

I am just a bit concerned because the neurosurgeon's office has told me a couple of times that I have to bring in all reports and films, and has specifically mentioned discogram films (what doesn't exist I can't provide).

Thanks.

David
Old 04-25-2005, 04:15 PM

If you had a discogram which cost bucks, then you have a right to go to the facility and ask for a copy of it and the report. I doubt the facility lost it.
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:27 PM

Agreed. I have contacted the doctor who performed the procedure and his staff has told me that he doesn't produce any CT scans, nor does he produce discogram films during a discogram procedure.

I then contacted the radiology department of the hospital where the procedure was done, and they also said that this particular doctor doesn't produce CT scans or discogram films when he does discograms (wish I had known that beforehand)

The only thing available from the discogram is the written report from the doctor concerning what he did and what he found, which I have a copy of.

My hope is that the neurosurgeon that I have a referral to doesn't want to see the discogram films, because they don't exist (actually, I am pretty sure he *does* want to see the discogram films, but I can't show him what doesn't exist)

Worse comes to worse, I could do another discogram to produce films, I just would prefer not to, if at all possible.

Basically, I am a bit ticked off right now, because I didn't realize that this doctor wasn't going to produce any films when he did the discogram (nor did I realize that films might be important later on). From what I have now heard, it sounds like it is extremely unusual for films to not be produced....

David
Old 04-25-2005, 05:59 PM

Somebody read the discogram radiograph. I'd call your new physician's office and say that you don't know how to get hold of this important record/visual. Maybe your new consulting doc's staff can give your doc and institution a kick in the butt. The idea that you'd need another invasive discogram is insane.

Maybe the radiologist who provided clinical impressions can be contacted about this. This is Medieval; sorry.
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:09 PM

Not making the films just doesn't make sense. The doctor surely can't remember everyone's discogram results without films to refer to. He didn't dictate the outcomes while you were on the table, right? Maybe you should also contact the insurance company that paid for the discogram --they might be interested in what they did or didn't pay for. I hope your appointment goes well.
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy
Old 04-26-2005, 07:56 AM

I am actually guessing that he did dictate the results either during the procedure or directly afterwards.

End result: He could have easily saved a digital image of the results while he was doing the procedure, or could have easily produced a radiographic image. He didn't. They don't exist.

Next week I will find out how much that decision is going to cost me....

David
Old 04-26-2005, 11:31 AM

I went to a facility for a discogram. He read their report and was provided a dupe copy of the small radiograph. I doubt the doc did this in his office unless he's really well-heeled. If not, the radiological facility should have the picture.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:34 PM

I agree that the doctor *should* have produced something from the discogram.

But, I actually directly called the radiology department.

There are no films. No radiographic pictures. No CT scans. Nothing. Only the written report.

David
Old 04-26-2005, 03:56 PM

It's amazing how the radiological place lacks CT scans, radiographs - esp. since now so much is digitized. Myself, if at a hospital I'd call the Ombudsman and/or write a letter to the Director of the facility asking for help. That you do not want to subject the same disc to an invasive procedure.

Sorry it's maddening. If you paid by credit card, esp. AMEX, wonder if you could contest the charge since you paid for the radiograph.