ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 12-10-2004, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Hey, thx for asking. It's funny you should ask...

At my 6 month ADR checkup (which went well), I asked my doctor about my concern with the cervical tightness (pain & tighness between shoulder blade, twitching in arm muscles) and he recommended an MRI as a logical next step. This is not scheduled yet.

Meanwhile, I am taking monster ibuprofens and it seems to be calming down. If the problem goes away, I suppose I don't need the MRI...I don't think I should "look" for problems, but I am not sure.

What would you do? I know you have had similar issues? How are you doing?

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-10-2004, 01:18 PM

Thoracic pain can often come from the rib/vertebra joints. If you've become stiff due to a lumbar problem (which is inevitable), when you start to exercise again they can cause pain. One way to loosen those joints up is to do gentle stretches with a rolled up towel....roll up the towel, place it lengthways down your spine from the top to a point no lower than your bra strap (!Harrison!) would be. Relax back gently over it for a few minutes. Move the towel up a couple of inches and repeat etc. If you don't feel any stretch, raising your arms above your head increases the stretch. Place a pillow under your head at first to make it a light stretch. Go easy at first and don't do anything that's contraindicated for your ADR.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Thx Jo!
Old 12-10-2004, 03:45 PM

Sorry it is still causing your problems Harrison.

I would maybe wait and see how it goes for a bit longer, it might just settle down but at least you know you can get a MRI if need be.

I always just had lower back pain, unexplained but then this year I have developed problems with my upper back/neck, trapezius muscles and that. Have been getting physio and acupuncture. It is 2 weeks since I had treatment so I can feel the pain creeping in so going again next week.

I might give that exercise a go Jo, I find a tennis ball useful for get into the knots etc.... but always happy to try other things to help.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:36 AM

For hardcore stretching of the rib/verterbral joints, tape two tennis balls tightly together and lie on them so that they straddle the vertebra ie each tennis ball gets the rib joint on either side. Do one level at a time. Again, don't go any lower than bra strap level. This one can make you quite sore so go at it gently. My physio said that one of the most important things post fusion or ADR is to mobilize the thoracic spine as it stiffens when you have a lumbar problem, and you need to keep it moving to take the strain off the lumbar region.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Jo, what your physio advised now has me wondering...

The PT I saw on week 8 gave me lat pulls as part of the post-op exercise program. I continued doing these, which build up my muscles to the point where I pulled something. My lumbar area is flexible and fine, but maybe lat pulls aren't the best thing in the first 6 months of post-op!

Old 12-11-2004, 09:42 AM

I had same problem Rich. That is just a tender area after so little use. It took some time off and then going back very gingerly to get past it. I can now do them with no problem.

It was excruciating for a few days and then slight soreness thereafter. Even when I returned to doing them it was slightly sore but not to any extent that I needed to stop and now they are fine.

Are you doing them in front or behind the neck? If behind the neck you should really start in front to top of chest until you are really ready for behind the neck, its much more stressful behind the neck and my therapist encouraged me to stay away from them until the proper amount of strength and stability was built up.

Good luck.

Bill

Old 12-11-2004, 10:30 AM

You may not have pulled something - it may just be your rib joints protesting. If they get inflamed they often cause intensely tender muscle spasm over the joints (either side of your spine). When mine get too sore, I actually have to lay off the mobilising exercises to let them calm down again, and then start off again gently. If anti-inflams have helped, what about trying ice?
Old 12-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Thx Jo, I dunno what's going on. My paranoia drove me to a page on the CINN web site. I almost forgot how useful the Chicago Institute of Neurosurgery and Neuroresearch can be. For folks with cervical issues, this is one (of many) useful resources:

http://www.cinn.org/isc/herniation-cervical.html
Old 12-12-2004, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jo:
[qb] For hardcore stretching of the rib/verterbral joints, tape two tennis balls tightly together and lie on them so that they straddle the vertebra ie each tennis ball gets the rib joint on either side. Do one level at a time. Again, don't go any lower than bra strap level. This one can make you quite sore so go at it gently. My physio said that one of the most important things post fusion or ADR is to mobilize the thoracic spine as it stiffens when you have a lumbar problem, and you need to keep it moving to take the strain off the lumbar region. [/qb]
I use tennis ball on my back but use it against a wall, lying on it is so painful!!!!!!