ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:50 AM

Default My First Post Thanks

Hello to all. Thank you in advance for all you have done to help others and myself gain insight regarding spine issues.

I am a 39 year old male, I live in San Luis Obispo CA. I am a concrete contractor by trade, I have a wife and two young sons, and also use my body surfing, diving, hiking, running, when my level of discomfort allows.

Two years ago I free fell down a wave onto the side of my head. I did nit hit bottom but the water impact tweaked my neck so far to the side that the neck immediately got hot and tingly, but no pain. I figured I was ok but two days later it stiffened up to the point of high pain and almost no flexibility. No MRI, 6 months of PT, Massage, got me 90% back.

Jump forward to Feb 2017, after a week of heavy lifting at work, followed by a week of sleeping in a Santa Barbara hospital chair with Grandma who had a stroke, my neck pain and stiffness jumped up to an 8 over a five day increase. It stayed for three months.

I have been working with a local Chiro that only does tissue work, no cracking. He broke down all the muscle adhesions around the neck area over a three month session, twice a week. This brought the pain down to a 3 but one day of working too hard and I flare right back up to a 6. For the past 3 months I have been not working to my normal ability, hardly surfing at all, it makes the neck tight, and definitely not the husband/father I could be without the constant discomfort.

x-ray/MRI showed moderate/severe DDD in C5-C6, and C6-C7, the bone spurs pinch the nerves that run down the right arm, causing constant tingling as well as inability to activate some of the muscles in my arm. In the top view of the MRI the Herniations bulge only about 2/3rds of the way across the spinal cord, I luckily have full control of the body below the chest except for minor tingling in the right foot.

I have seen four orthopedic/neuro surgeons, three local and one up in the Bay Area. Three of the three who did ADR recommended it, the other Dr. did not do ADR and recommended to come in posterior and shave the herniations off the spinal cord. The cortisone shot they tried to dull the pain with did nothing.

The Dr. I felt is best for me is Dr. Su at Mt. Tam Orthopedics. He did a great job of explaining the MRI/CT scan, he made a good enough case that either fusion or ADR is needed.

My main concern is:

1. How much impact can a well healed double level ADR Mobi-C in the lower cervical spine take? I want to be able to surf post surgery, it is something I have to do, and there will definitely be situations where the head gets pretty rattled. The thought of a plastic ball floating between two metal plates without any mechanical fasteners seems possibly vulnerable to heavy impact? Are there any surfers out there with a surfing track record post ADR? Has anyone found a study on what sort of impact the Mobi C product can take?

If I want to continue getting occasionally pummeled in the water should I get a two level fusion, will this be able to withstand more impact, and if so how much mobility would I be giving up?

Much thanks,

Maysun

x-ray/MRI showed moderate/severe DDD in C5-C6, and C6-C7, the bone spurs pinch the nerves that run down the right arm, causing constant tingling as well as inability to activate some of the muscles in my arm. In the top view of the MRI the Herniations bulge only about 2/3rds of the way across the spinal cord, I luckily have full control of the body below the chest except for minor tingling in the right foot.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Maysun, thanks for posting. I am sorry you are here but I hope we can help you. To answer one of your questions: once your spine is healed from ADR or fusion, there will not be any limitations to your activities!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 11-24-2017, 01:28 AM

Harrison, thanks for the encouragement. I am totally positive about a coming surgery, just want the one that will support my lifestyle the best. In all your replies and time on this site, have you come across any studies examining how external forces can effect ADR Vs. fusion?

Old 11-27-2017, 09:30 AM

I have two pro discs. I'm a year out n did haresrambles the last two weeks
6/6/15 last of many MRI L4-5 medium paracentral bulge with juice leaking and mid to left bulge on L5-S1
No invasive procedures except steroid shots that did nothing n hurt wicked bad
9/24/2016 Adr surgery Bertagnoli>1 year doing great
Old 12-07-2017, 01:13 AM

GKTM 300, hey thanks for posting back, so what is "I did haresrambles the last two weeks" just for the records.
thanks

Old 12-07-2017, 11:51 AM

Default Post surgery "limits"

Hi Maysun,

Regarding the "strength" of an ADR, all of the docs I met with indicated sports are unlimited following surgery. Assuming all goes well and facets are good etc.

The few that recommended fusion for me did not indicate a fusion was stronger they recommended fusion for other reasons.

I would have expected this to come up (16 consults) given my recreational activities of climbing and running. I did both a lot and hope to do so in the future.

The only limits I was told had to do with prolonged "head back" position, not for strength reasons but they think for instance road cycling may aggravate my neck or rock climbing. I do mostly high altitude mountaineering and they think that will be fine, including skiing etc.

The only discrepancy I ran into was timeline for fully healed and that varied only a little. My doc stressed no sudden head jerks, falls etc for the first 6 weeks and has me wear a hard collar when outside but loosely. As basic protection and a reminder to take it easy (It is icy here). Surgeon gave me the green light for a bit of jogging at 2 months, short runs at 3 if all good and no serious contact sports for 9-12 months. For me, that means no rope/sudden head jerks.

He also indicated distraction pain would come in waves and should be gone in 2 months. So far that pain is very minor...3 weeks now and most of the day I have zero pain of any kind.

I'm playing it conservatively and intend to build some more muscle in my shoulders etc before a lot of impact activities.

I am not sure how much movement would be lost with a fusion, one doc said side to side for a 2 level fusion would not be noticeable but chin to chest and head back would be a little limited but would not impact normal activities.

In conclusion I have not been told an ADR is a weak spot.

Hope this helps, Runner

2016 - C5/6, C6/7; Disc extrusions, osteophytes, radiculopathy. Left side only.

Clinging to the fantasy this will resolve spontaneously on its own.

2017 - Gave up on the dream. 2-level C5/6 & C6/7 Signus Rotaio ADR 15Nov17

Last edited by Runner16; 12-07-2017 at 11:53 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-08-2017, 12:29 PM

its a real harsh form of motocross race. like erzberg enduro or redbull rendezvous its a nine mile or so one line trail thru harsh environments like thru creeks and up mountains down mountains hills staright up. dude i was running like 45 mph wheelied iver a downed treed and went to blip my throttle to fly off and my back tire slid out in the back rhe bike trew me and i landed on my right shoulder broke my collar bone finished race n back fells great. its like its bullet proof. im a union electrician for 35years, nit the lazy type, lol. dude i was ready to end my existance i waited way too long maybe. but im back.

please choose wisely thats seems to be most important!.
6/6/15 last of many MRI L4-5 medium paracentral bulge with juice leaking and mid to left bulge on L5-S1
No invasive procedures except steroid shots that did nothing n hurt wicked bad
9/24/2016 Adr surgery Bertagnoli>1 year doing great
Old 12-12-2017, 12:01 AM

Runner and GKTM300, thanks for the helpful insight. I have come to the conclusion that the mobi c is the one for me given my current situation. I feel confident in my doctors abilities and will go in this Thursday morning ready to get to the other side of this. Can’t wait to start scratching my way back into my old self, although I know it will be a good year to get there.