ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:16 PM

Default different opinions

I have the following opinions with the same MRI

· Spain-fusion c5/c6 c6/c7 and ADR c4/c5 maybe c3/c4
· India- Laminoforaminotomies from c3-c6 possibility require ADR 3 levels
· Germany- ADR C5/C6 and C6/C7
· USA - wait until I walk like I'm drunk , cant button my shirt- surgery will not make me better but when ready will stop me from getting worse.
Fred C
Old 09-12-2010, 04:35 PM

Some of your differences can come from what each surgeon has in their toolkit. The US doctor may not have anything to offer but fusion, which he knows isn't going to make everything better. India is, from a comment I heard here, somewhat conservative in the care they're willing to offer. Spain is probably less conservative but may not have the experience to offer two level on a regular basis. Germany has the experience and, depending upon which surgeon you're talking about, tends to be a bit sporty in what he's willing to do to resolve problems. To make it really interesting, do all four clinics/surgeons agree upon what your condition is?
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 09-12-2010, 05:28 PM

it would be helpful to know what the diagnosis, or diagnoses, are? how was the MRI read by the radiologist? what other investigations have you had?
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:22 PM

Fred,

Three different opinions? What a ... bummer! Before my double ADR I received five opinions, but four of them were all the same, which of course made my decision easy.

I know it doesn't help any, but one woman on this site received seven opinions; no two were the same.

Are these the only three opinions you've received? Have you received others that matched any of these three? Continuing to consult different doctors can be frustrating, time consuming and expensive; but perhaps a best option will begin to emerge?

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 09-13-2010, 10:04 PM

Hi Fred -

I agree with Jeff and the others. I can add from my experience that I consulted with six of the best surgeons I could find in California as well docs in England, Germany and Spain - and then fully appreciated the adage about opinions - e.g. ask six surgeons and you'll get seven opinions.

That being said, those consultations became more and more detailed and pointed as I was able to learn more - and follow up with a few docs I already consulted with. Some consensus did emerge as Jeff suggested, and eventually I was able to decide on an approach (ADR over fusion or foraminotomy), a preferred disc (I went with M6), and a surgeon (I went with Nick Boeree in the UK but also considered Dr. Clavel that Jeff used, and Ritter-Lang in Germany).

Talking to docs and their patients, and folks on these sites, was key for me and definitely helped me get to a decision with as much confidence as I could have, especially given that I'd never had surgery before and a 2-level cervical ADR was big way to start.

I know I speak for others as well in saying that if we can be of any further help, please let us know - and keep us posted on your progress!

Best,
Tyler
Completely off of pain meds since a few days post-op and symptom-free; have returned to cycling, climbing and all other activities (but staying off the motorcycle)