ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Naturopathic Corner

The Naturopathic Corner This forum contains posts relating to natural and alternative therapies, general nutrition and nutritional therapies, supplementation and more.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:21 PM

Default juicers

I used to be a manager at a retail kitchen store chain. I'm definitely spoiled when it comes to kitchen equipment.
It's hard to say that you only need one juicer because really, a juicer isn't meant for citrus.
You can put it in there but a citrus press is really the tool for lemons, limes, orange, & grapefruit. The press will get the most juice out of the citrus.
I have the Breville juicer and also the citrus press and of course, the Vitamix.
Being in Florida is an advantage because I can drive to the groves and buy a huge bag of citrus. I juice a small pitcher of citrus juice on my press. In my juicer, I put everything but citrus and when it's done with various fruits and veggies, I then add some the citrus juice from my pitcher. This is if I want juice. The Vitamix is more for smoothies because you aren't removing pulp which also gives you more fiber. I haven't used the Ninja so I'm not sure if it can make soups but I love this feature with the Vitamix. I can take a raw squash and throw it in the Vitamix with a piece of ginger and some spices and have soup in minutes.
I love being able to make soup this way because it's easy and healthy.
I would say that out of the three (juicer, press and Vitamix), I use the Vitamix more than anything else.
I'm back to making smoothies again. I stopped for awhile because my doctor told me that my sugar was high and the smoothies were giving me too much sugar all at once.
I now add more veggies, less fruit and make sure to add yogurt to everything.
I try to add cinnamon and/or ginger to many things since these two things are so good for you. I get more spinach this way too because I don't taste it in the smoothie which is fine by me..lol

Richard,
post some of your favorite concoctions when you start playing with your Ninja.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Hey all, just updating this topic. I am finally shopping for a blender replacement. Vicki, I reread your message and it was helpful. I sent you an email a few weeks ago, I hope you got it. I learned a while ago that the Vitamix won't fit under my cabinet, and also learned about the Ninja's six blade technology which seems useful for almost anything.

I am looking to make purees (fruits and veggies), raw/diced foods and juices too -- even though I have a Breville which leaves a lot of waste pulp.

Any thoughts on high-performance blending would be appreciated.
May be too late, Vitamix now has 2 models with a shorter container specifically to fit under upper cabinets. They have both models at Williams Sonoma, we just purchased one for a family member as a wedding gift based on the the fact that they said they loved our Vitamix but did not think it would fit on their counter under the cabinets.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Hey all, just updating this topic. I am finally shopping for a blender replacement. Vicki, I reread your message and it was helpful. I sent you an email a few weeks ago, I hope you got it. I learned a while ago that the Vitamix won't fit under my cabinet, and also learned about the Ninja's six blade technology which seems useful for almost anything.

I am looking to make purees (fruits and veggies), raw/diced foods and juices too -- even though I have a Breville which leaves a lot of waste pulp.

Any thoughts on high-performance blending would be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki_in_Florida View Post
I used to be a manager at a retail kitchen store chain. I'm definitely spoiled when it comes to kitchen equipment.
It's hard to say that you only need one juicer because really, a juicer isn't meant for citrus.
You can put it in there but a citrus press is really the tool for lemons, limes, orange, & grapefruit. The press will get the most juice out of the citrus.
I have the Breville juicer and also the citrus press and of course, the Vitamix.
Being in Florida is an advantage because I can drive to the groves and buy a huge bag of citrus. I juice a small pitcher of citrus juice on my press. In my juicer, I put everything but citrus and when it's done with various fruits and veggies, I then add some the citrus juice from my pitcher. This is if I want juice. The Vitamix is more for smoothies because you aren't removing pulp which also gives you more fiber. I haven't used the Ninja so I'm not sure if it can make soups but I love this feature with the Vitamix. I can take a raw squash and throw it in the Vitamix with a piece of ginger and some spices and have soup in minutes.
I love being able to make soup this way because it's easy and healthy.
I would say that out of the three (juicer, press and Vitamix), I use the Vitamix more than anything else.
I'm back to making smoothies again. I stopped for awhile because my doctor told me that my sugar was high and the smoothies were giving me too much sugar all at once.
I now add more veggies, less fruit and make sure to add yogurt to everything.
I try to add cinnamon and/or ginger to many things since these two things are so good for you. I get more spinach this way too because I don't taste it in the smoothie which is fine by me..lol

Richard,
post some of your favorite concoctions when you start playing with your Ninja.
A couple times a week a have kale, kiwi, carrot - sometimes add some pear or pineapple(core & skin included).
Old 09-13-2015, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Post Zucchini Juicing

Excerpt:

Zucchini is an excellent source of potassium and magnesium which are beneficial to those people diuretics for high blood pressure, because the side effect of that medication is that it leaches these minerals from the body.

Zucchini Juice helps strengthens bones and prevents brittleness because the chelated calcium content is so high that it is retained by the body longer than calcium from diary or food supplements. The amounts of Calcium, magnesium and phosphorus in Zucchini are equally balanced, combined with the high potassium count, this combination helps bones mend faster. Amazing healer after surgeries.

It’s antioxidant properties are great. It contains the carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin which help protect our eyes. It contains nutrients that help stabilize blood sugar, are anti-inflammatory, and fight cancer.

Source: http://rawjuiceguru.com/our-raw-juice/

Note: Only use organic produce!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 09-14-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Excerpt:

Zucchini is an excellent source of potassium and magnesium which are beneficial to those people diuretics for high blood pressure, because the side effect of that medication is that it leaches these minerals from the body.

Zucchini Juice helps strengthens bones and prevents brittleness because the chelated calcium content is so high that it is retained by the body longer than calcium from diary or food supplements. The amounts of Calcium, magnesium and phosphorus in Zucchini are equally balanced, combined with the high potassium count, this combination helps bones mend faster. Amazing healer after surgeries.

It’s antioxidant properties are great. It contains the carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin which help protect our eyes. It contains nutrients that help stabilize blood sugar, are anti-inflammatory, and fight cancer.

Source: http://rawjuiceguru.com/our-raw-juice/

Note: Only use organic produce!
Not juicing, but we spiralize zucchini and put "sauce" over it instead of using pasta. It is REALLY GOOD!
*12/28/11 ESI L L4/L5 - 1/13/12 ESI R L4/L5 - 1/24/12 L SI joint capsule - 3/8/12 TPI - 3/23/12 L L5/S1 - 4/11/12 ESI caudal - 5/23/12 TPI - 7/10/12 Facet inj L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
*9/12/12: 30 - DRX9000
*12/21/12 schedule. for L4/L5 fusion-CANCELLED 1/7/13
*7/16/2013: 3 level M6(S1-L3) w/ Dr. Bierstedt